I’ve been wanting to try this Mixed Berry Whole Wheat Coffee Cake for a while and decided I’d better get to it before the temperatures around here climb any further.
Low in fat, brimming with berries and topped with granola, it’s a great lighter, healthier alternative to regular coffee cake.
And easy to toss together too.
Skinny on Mixed Berry Whole Wheat Coffee Cake
Simple and delicious, this not-too-sweet mixed berry whole wheat coffee cake is a great way to satisfy my desire for baked treats without sending me into sugar shock.
We enjoyed it warm from the oven for breakfast with nonfat Greek yogurt and more berries. YUM!
Each serving has 160 calories and *4 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
- ½ cup lowfat buttermilk
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mixed berries (fresh or frozen) (I used blueberries, raspberries and blackberries)
- ¼ cup low-fat granola, slightly crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray and 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, stir together the buttermilk, brown sugar, oil, vanilla and egg until well blended. Stir in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt just until moistened. Gently fold in half of the berries.
- Scrape the batter into your prepared pan and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle with remaining berries and the granola.
- Bake until golden brown and top springs back when touched in center, about Bake 28 to 32 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Source: Betty Crocker Whole Grains: Easy Everyday Recipes
*PointsPlus® for mixed berry whole wheat coffee cake calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked mixed berry whole wheat coffee cake you might also like:
Today’s food for thought…
“Every strike brings me closer to the next home run.”
~ Babe Ruth
Do you have a favorite quote? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.