Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Fresh Raspberry Cake
When it comes to baking, I like to keep things easy. Especially during the summer.
And I have a real love of baked goods and desserts filled with fruit. So, this fresh raspberry cake immediately got my attention when I saw it a couple months ago on Baking Bites.
The easy fresh raspberry cake batter is made with buttermilk and just ¼ cup butter, so it's relatively low in fat as cakes go.
And it's the kind of simple cake that doesn't need frosting. I've never been much of a frosting fan, even as a kid. A good thing if you're a Weight Watcher!
My cake didn't turn out as pretty as Nicole's because I didn't follow her instructions. When will I learn?
She said to bake the fresh raspberry cake in a 9-inch springform pan . I used an 8-inch round cake pan instead. So my batter was thicker causing many of my berries to sink out of site.
Note to self: For best results when baking, use the pan size specified in the recipe!
No matter. This fresh raspberry cake still tasted delicious. It's going on my list of "make again" recipes. Hopefully, this summer while raspberries are still plentiful.
If you want to dress this fresh raspberry cake up, serve it with a little dollop of whipped cream, whipped topping, or small scoop of low-fat vanilla ice cream.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Raspberry Cake?
Each slice of cake (1/10th) has 170 calories and:
7 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made this Low-Fat Raspberry Cake, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Fresh Raspberry Cake Recipe
- 1-⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1-½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup ,plus 2 tablespoons, low-fat buttermilk
- 1-⅓ cups fresh raspberries
- 1 tbsp coarse sugar, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer for several minutes until light. Beat in the egg, vanilla extract and lemon zest, until smooth and creamy.
- Blend in about ⅓ of the flour mixture, followed by ½ of the buttermilk just until incorporated.
- Repeat with ½ of the remaining flour mixture and all of the remaining buttermilk.
- Then stir in the remaining flour, just until everything is combined. (The batter will be thick.)
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Arrange the raspberries evenly over the top of the batter. (The batter will rise up around the berries as it bakes, so you don’t need to push them in.)
- Sprinkle the coarse sugar evenly over the top of the cake.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached.
- Remove from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
Source: Slightly adapted from Baking Bites
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More WW Friendly Recipes with Raspberries
- Simple Raspberry Sauce
- Raspberry Cheesecake Cups
- Skinny Raspberry Squares
- Laughing Cow Cheese Raspberry Toast
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!