Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Orange Pineapple Muffin Cake
(200 calories | 8 8 8 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Orange Pineapple Muffin Cake is an easy, wholesome Pillsbury Bake-off contender from 1990.
As I was browsing through a copy of Pillsbury: Best of the Bake-off Cookbook: 350 Recipes from Ameria’s Favorite Cooking Contest cookbook that I picked up during a recent Goodwill outing with Mom, this was the first recipe to catch my eye.
The description claimed that “Whole wheat flour adds texture and wholesomeness to this muffin-like cake.” But, both my mom and I agree that this orange pineapple muffin cake has the consistency of a scone.
Skinny on Orange Pineapple Muffin Cake
More biscuit-like or scone-like than muffin-like. A whole lot lighter than your typical coffee shop coffeecake, muffin or scone, each serving has just 200 calories and:
8 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
I was a little concerned that the batter was too thick, but managed to get it spread out in the pan. The orange pineapple flavor really came through and the orange glaze added just enough sweetness.
This delicious recipe, full of fruit and flavor, is going into my “Make Again” file. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you enjoy this low-fat orange pineapple muffin cake, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Blueberry Oat Scones, Low-Fat Cranberry Pumpkin Scones, Slow Cooker Apple Cake, Baked Pumpkin Donuts and Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
If you’ve made this Orange Pineapple Breakfast Cake, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Orange Pineapple Muffin Cake Recipe
For the Cake:
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
- Grease the bottom only of a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt, mixing well.
- In a medium bowl stir together the drained crushed pineapple, orange juice, melted butter, orange zest and egg until well blended.
- Add the pineapple mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. (The dough will be very thick.)
- Spread the dough evenly into the greased pan.
- Bake at 400F degrees for 22 to 27 minutes or until a light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 1 minute. Remove from the pan and place on a serving plate.
- To make the glaze, in a small bowl combine the powdered sugar, orange zest and 1 tablespoon orange juice. Add the additional tablespoon of orange juice a little at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
- Drizzle the glaze over the warm cake.
- Serve warm.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this pineapple orange muffin cake you might also like:
- Easy Skinny Low Fat Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Applesauce Sour Cream Coffee Cake (Weight Watchers)
- Low-Fat Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake (Slender Kitchen)
- Light & Healthy Irish Wholemeal Scones (Simple-Nourished-Living)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!