Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
(64 calories | 3 3 3 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
This strawberry shortcake cookies recipe from Martha Stewart for tender cookies studded with sweet strawberries is properly named! They are the perfect portable portion-controlled version of the classic dessert.
The Skinny on Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
These strawberry shortcake cookies taste more like bite-sized strawberry scones–soft and cake like–than cookies, but I loved them and think they would be perfect as part of a casual tea party.
Does anyone really have tea parties anymore or is this just a recurring romantic fantasy of mine?
When you read the recipe you'll see that you make them just as you would scones or biscuits - combining the flour with butter until the mixture takes on a crumb like texture,
and then stirring in cream until the dough comes together.
Once you stir in the strawberries don't be surprised if your dough takes on a pink hue!
I divided the recipe in half, which made 18 cookies.
If you like strawberry shortcake and/or cake-like cookies, give these delicious home-baked Strawberry Shortcake Cookies a try the next time you are looking for a fun and easy recipe calling for fresh strawberries.
The recipe calls for sanding sugar, a coarse sugar (found in a variety of colors) that produces a sparkly effect when sprinkled on top of baked goods.
You can find Wilton Sanding Sugar at stores carrying cake decorating supplies or online. You can sprinkle regular granulated sugar on instead, but your cookies won't be quite as pretty!
How Many Calories/WW Points in these Strawberry Shortcake Cookies?
I was happy to recently discover that these little fresh strawberry cookies have only 64 calories, 2.8 g fat when I ran them through my favorite nutrition calculating program.
And according to WW Recipe Builder, each little cookie has just:
3 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
2 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 375F degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Step 2: In a small mixing bowl, mix together the strawberries, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon sugar - set aside.
Step 3: In a large mixing bowl , whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining ¼ cup sugar.
Cut butter into small pieces and add to flour mixture.
Using a pastry cutter (or two forks), cut butter into flour mixture until is resembles coarse crumbs.
Stir the cream into the flour mixture until the dough starts to come together (be careful not over-mix).
Step 4: Stir in the strawberry mixture, just until combined.
Step 5: Using two tablespoons, or a 1-½-inch ice cream scoop , drop cookie dough on prepared baking sheets - spaced evenly apart. Sprinkle cookies with sanding sugar, if using.
Step 6: Bake until cookies are golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer cookies to a cooling rack with a spatula and let cool completely.
These cookies taste best when served the day they're made, but can be store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 days.
If you've made these scone-like Strawberry Cookies, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Cookies Recipe (Half Batch)
- 6 ounces (1 cup) fresh strawberries, hulled and cutinto ¼-inch dice
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- Sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining ¼ cup of granulated sugar. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, or two forks until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the cream until dough starts to come together, then stir in the strawberry mixture, just until combined.
- Using a 1-½-inch ice cream scoop or two tablespoons, drop dough onto parchment lined baking sheets, spacing evenly apart. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, if using.
- Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer cookies with a spatula to a wire rack, and let cool.
Recipe source: Martha Stewart
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like these fresh strawberry cookies, you might also like:
- Low-Fat Banana Date Cookies
- No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- Skinny Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Easy Strawberry Shortcake
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!