Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Skinny Strawberry Cake
This skinny strawberry cake is one I made last year, but never got around to posting. It’s a winner in my book.
Easy and delicious, I think I prefer it to traditional strawberry shortcake.
The Skinny on Skinny Strawberry Cake
I used cake mix to keep this skinny strawberry cake quick and easy.
If you prefer a cake made from scratch, this skinny buttermilk cake would work well.
I used real whipped cream in this skinny strawberry cake too.
Truwhip (natural whipped topping) is another alternative, but when I calculated the Points, it came out the same using it as the whipped cream, so I opted for the real thing since I think it tastes better and I had some heavy cream in fridge, ready and waiting.
By keeping the servings small, you can enjoy a slice of this skinny strawberry cake for 193 calories, *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *8 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
The more I focus on slowing down and really savoring my sweet indulgences, the more I realize a little serving of dessert is all my body really wants, or needs.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
This video shows another way to make low carb strawberry cake:
If you’ve made this strawberry cake, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Skinny Strawberry Cake Recipe
- 9 ounces white or vanilla cake mix (1/2 of an 18-ounce package)
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ounces plain non-fat yogurt (1/2 of a 6-ounce container)
- 1/4 cup strawberry all-fruit preserves melted
- 1-1/2 cups whipped cream (3/4 cup heavy cream whipped with 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar to make 1-1/2 cups or natural whipped topping such as Truwhip)
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Coat an 8-inch round baking pan with cooking spray, then dust it with flour.
- In a large bowl beat 9 ounces of cake mix (about 1/2 an 18-oz. package), the egg white, water, oil, vanilla and 3 ounces yogurt with an electric mixer until well blended, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the cake from the pan and place it on the rack to cool completely.
- Split the cooled cake horizontally into 2 layers. (I use a thin serrated bread knife.)
- Place the bottom layer cut side up on a cake plate. Spread 1/2 the preserves over the bottom layer. Cover with half the whipped cream or whipped topping and half the strawberries.
- Top with the remaining layer, cut side down. Coat with the remaining preserves and whipped topping.
- Arrange the remaining strawberries over the top.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this skinny strawberry cake, you might also like:
- Easy Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
- Weight Watchers Frozen Strawberry Layer Cake
- Skinny Strawberry Almond Crumble
- Strawberries in Red Wine and Cassis
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!