Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Low Fat Pumpkin Streusel Coffeecake
An easy, healthy, low-fat pumpkin coffee cake with streusel topping that bakes up light and delicious.
I can’t seem to let go of my pumpkin infatuation this year and have been perusing my cookbooks for even more light and healthy ways to enjoy its flavors.
Believe it or not, I’ve even started making my own pressure cooker pumpkin puree – it’s so easy and tastes amazing!!
“Coffeecake” popped into my head recently which led me to cobble together this Weight Watchers friendly variation.
The Skinny on Low-Fat Pumpkin Streusel Coffeecake
I wound up combining aspects of recipes from 3 cookbooks:
- Libby’s Home-Baked Goodness
- Perfect Light Desserts: Fabulous Cakes, Cookies, Pies, and More Made with Real Butter, Sugar, Flour, and Eggs, All Under 300 Calories Per Generous Serving by Nick Malgieri
- Have Your Cake and Eat it, Too by Susan Purdy
Rod – who loves all things cake – enjoyed a piece with ice cream for dessert last night, giving it his full approval.
I think it’s even better the next day when the crunchy Grapenuts in the streusel soften up a bit.
This low fat pumpkin streusel coffeecake would be a nice addition to a holiday breakfast or brunch.
A lighter healthier coffeecake flavored with pumpkin.
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 or more teaspoons apple juice or milk, if additional moisture is needed to achieve crumbly consistency
- 2 tablespoons Grapenuts (crunchy nugget cereal)
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
To make the streusel topping, in a small bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, butter and canola oil with a fork or your fingers until the mixture is crumbly. (Add about a teaspoon of apple juice or milk if you need a little more moisture to achieve a crumbly consistency.) Stir in the Grapenuts and set aside.
To make the cake, in a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt until well combined.
In a large mixing bowl, Whisk together the eggs, pumpkin, buttermilk, brown sugar, sugar, canola oil and vanilla until well blended. Add the flour mixture and stir just until combined.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the top of the cake.
Bake in the preheated oven until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: *5
Weight Watchers SmartPoints: *7
Tag @simplenourishedliving on Instagram and hashtag it #simplenourishedliving
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Libby’s Home-Baked Goodness
Perfect Light Desserts: Fabulous Cakes, Cookies, Pies, and More Made with Real Butter, Sugar, Flour, and Eggs, All Under 300 Calories Per Generous Serving
Have Your Cake and Eat it, Too
More Weight Watchers Friendly Pumpkin Recipes
- Low Fat Healthy Pumpkin Bread, Muffin and Scone Recipes
- Weight Watchers Healthy Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts
- Weight Watchers 2-Ingredient Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins
- Slim & Healthy Pumpkin Drinks
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Pudding
- Low Fat Cranberry-Pumpkin Scones
- Pumpkin Spice English Muffin Cheese “Danish”
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.