Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Blueberry Crumb Cake
(279 calories | 11 11 11 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Mom made this simple blueberry crumb cake for us recently. She got the recipe on Facebook from an old friend from Maine. I had a feeling this crumb cake would be delicious because her friend lives in the heart of Maine wild blueberry country, where she has a successful restaurant.
Since we don't have easy access to wild Maine blueberries here in Arizona, Mom used regular cultivated blueberries in her simple blueberry crumb cake.
It was still delicious. Packed with blueberries, moist and not too sweet.
I thought it was perfect. But, I might be biased. Simple cakes, like this simple blueberry crumb cake, are my favorite kind of cake. I'll choose them over a fancy frosted layer cake every time.
Skinny on Simple Blueberry Crumb Cake
This cake is pretty lean as cakes go. According to my calculations, each piece of cake (1/12th of cake): has 279 calories and:
11 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
11 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
11 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
8 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To make it a little more Weight Watchers friendly, I might decrease the butter and increase the buttermilk a little if I were making it.
But, I'm not sure. The truth is that cakes are meant to have some butter and sugar in them. That's what makes them cakes.
And when I slow down and really savor them, I've discovered that I only need a little taste to be completely satisfied. Enjoy!
Are You Ready To Firmly Plant Yourself
On The Path To Lasting Weight Loss Success?
If you've made this Blueberry Crumb Cake, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Simple Blueberry Crumb Cake Recipe
For the Topping:
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom, optional
- ¼ cup butter, softened
For the Cake:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (if using frozen, do NOT thaw)
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In medium bowl, combine all topping ingredients. Mix together with a fork until it's crumbly. Set aside
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In large bowl, beat together the remaining ⅓ cup butter and sugar, with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Add ½ the flour mixture and beat until incorporated. Beat in the buttermilk and then the remaining flour mixture just until combined.
- Fold in the blueberries just until incorporated.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan and then sprinkle the crumb topping evenly onto the batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Remove and place pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve as is or with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this simple blueberry crumb cake, here are some other Weight Watchers friendly blueberry recipes you might like:
- Low Fat Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- Blueberry Oat Scones
- Skinny No Bake Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Leave a Reply