WW Recipe of the Day: Orangesicle Cake Mix Bundt Cake
(206 calories | 9 9 9 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Have you tried Pillsbury's Orangesicle cake mix?
I've been thinking about it ever since seeing Anna's Orangesicle Layer Cake at Cookie Madness a while back. (Talk about the power of suggestion.)
I finally found it at Safeway, along with the other seasonal flavors (pink lemonade and key lime) and decided to take one of each to play with.
I usually prefer the flavor and texture of scratch cakes, but they require a lot of precision with mixing and measuring. That's where the convenience of boxed mixes come in.
They're fun, easy, less fussy and virtually foolproof. I guess you could say that they're one of my guilty pleasure.
The Skinny on Orangesicle Bundt Cake
I decided to use the orangesicle cake mix to make a bundt cake because:
- it's easy, and
- it doesn't require much in the way of frosting - just a dusting of powdered sugar or drizzle of icing - which keeps things simple, while lowering the calories/points.
Just back from a two week vacation in Paris and England, I'm definitely feeling the need to reduce calories wherever I can for a while!
I'm always experimenting with ways to lighten up cake mix cakes, but still create some density so they're more like scratch.
Today, I skipped adding oil and instead used a combination of fresh orange juice, low-fat yogurt and water. I also added a little orange zest and extra flour, a trick Mom learned years ago that's supposed to make the texture more like from scratch.
Once the cake was cool, I drizzled it with a glaze made from confectioners' sugar, orange zest and orange juice.
Rod and I both thought this turned out great. It was moist and a little more dense with good orange flavor. I also shared some with Mom, who said it was, "Delicious with wonderful orangey flavor."
Each slice (1/12th of the cake) has 206 calories and:
9 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Which is not bad for cake as tasty as this.
If you like this easy orange creamsicle bundt cake, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Orangesicle Cookies, Orange Pineapple Muffin Cake, Orange Blackberry Trifle, Cranberry Orange Oatmeal Bread and Orange-Scented Olive Oil Cake
If you've made this Orangesicle Cake, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Orangsicle Cake Mix Bundt Cake Recipe
For the Cake:
- 1 box (15.25 ounces) Pillsbury Orangesicle cake mix
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- ¾ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- ¾ cup water
For the Icing:
- ¾ cup confectioner's sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 350F degrees F. Spray a 10-cup bundt pan with flour-added baking spray (such as Baker's Joy).
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir to mix.
- With an electric mixer , beat for a full minute, scraping sides of bowl well, if necessary, until well blended and creamy.
- Scrape batter into the pan and smooth out evenly.
- Bake on the center rack for 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan set on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then carefully invert onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.
- To make the icing, in a small bowl stir together the confectioners sugar and orange zest and orange juice until it's smooth and of a spreading/drizzling consistency.
- Spoon it along the top of the cake and it will slowly drip down along the ridges of the cake, creating a pretty effect.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Orangesicle and Creamsicle Recipes
- Orange Creamsicle Smoothie (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Creamsicle Cupcakes (Dashing Dish)
- Orange Creamsicle Smoothie (It's Yummilicious)
- Non-fat Orange Creamsicle Popsicles (Pam's Daily Dish)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!