Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Turkey Broth
Cook Yourself Slim with 50 of my favorite slow cooker recipes all with PointsPlus & SmartPoints!
I used the remains of our leftover Thanksgiving turkey to make a big batch of crock pot turkey broth (stock).
Making turkey or fresh chicken broth (stock) is pretty easy anyway, but using a slow cooker makes the process virtually effortless. For very little work you are rewarded with several cups of delicious homemade broth, free of the artificial stuff often found in the boxed kind.
What’s not to like about that?
Now that I know how easy it is to make crock pot turkey broth, I’ll probably never use the stove top again.
You can store your healthy homemade turkey broth in the refrigerator for a few days. Or portion it out and freeze it. I like to divide it into 2-cup portions that I place in zipper lock freezer bags. I lie them flat on a plate in the freezer until solid so that they are easier to stack/store.
Each cup of broth has about 15 calories and 0 Points Plus. And broth is a WW Power food that works with Simply Filling too. Enjoy!
I used the following kitchen tools to make this recipe:
- Turkey carcass/bones
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 2 stalks of celery with leaves cut into large chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Place the bones in your slow cooker (I used my 6-quart). Try breaking them up as much as you can to fit.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots, peppercorns, bay leave, garlic and vinegar.
- Add water to 1-inch from the top of the crock. Cover and cook on low for at least 12 and up to 36 hours, adding water as necessary.
- Let cool and then strain the broth.
- Refrigerate overnight and skim off any unwanted fat that floated to the top.
- Keep refrigerated and use within a few days, or portion out and freeze. I like to portion mine out in 2 cup amounts and place in zip lock bags that I lie flat on a plate and place in the freezer.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this crock pot turkey broth you might also like:
- Simple Leftover Turkey Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
- Slow Cooker Thanksgiving Leftovers Soup
- Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Originally published 12/2013, Updated 11/2016
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.