Here’s a great recipe for when you’re feeling frugal: Cheap and Easy Slow Cooker Vegetable Broth .
Every time I make slow cooker vegetable broth , I ask myself why I don’t make it a regular habit instead of depending on the kind you buy in the store.
It’s easy to make. Tastes delicious. And costs hardly anything.
This year I’m working to rein in my spending and be more conscious about my shopping habits. I’ve begun using Dave Ramsey’s Envelope System for Budgeting.
Using only cash at the grocery store has helped me to increase my awareness in a hurry!
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Vegetable Broth
So, it occurred to me how silly it is to buy broth in a box when I’ve got everything I need to make it at home for a fraction of the cost.
I’m even going to try to begin saving my vegetable odds and ends in a sealable bag in the freezer.
Good candidates to be added include vegetables that have wilted beyond saving, the leafy ends of celery, trimmings from carrots and carrots, etc.
Once the bag gets full, you’ve got the makings of a batch of homemade slow cooker vegetable broth !
Cheap & Easy Slow Cooker Vegetable Broth
- 2-3 onions roughly chopped
- 2-3 carrots roughly chopped
- 3-4 stalks celery roughly chopped
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small handful parsley 10-12 sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- Optional Extras: leeks parsnips, fennel, tomatoes, mushrooms, greens
- Add the chopped vegetables and herbs to your slow cooker. (I used my 6-Quart.)
- Fill with water to within a half inch of the top of your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- When the broth has finished cooking allow it to cool in the crock pot, then strain it through a fine mesh sieve into a pot or bowl.
- Use the back of a spoon to press the veggies against the sieve to strain out all of the flavorful juices.
- Store the cooled stock in mason jars, or other tightly sealed containers in the fridge for 3-5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked slow cooker vegetable broth you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!