WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Vegetable Broth
Here's a great recipe for when you're feeling frugal: Cheap and Easy Slow Cooker Vegetable Broth.
Cheap and Easy Slow CookerVegetable Broth
Every time I make vegetable broth, I ask myself why I don't make it a regular habit instead of depending on the kind you buy in the store.
It so easy to make using a crock pot. Tastes delicious. And costs hardly anything.
This year I'm working to rein in my spending and be more conscious about my shopping habits. I've begun using Dave Ramsey's Envelope System for Budgeting.
Using only cash at the grocery store has helped me to increase my awareness in a hurry!
Crock Pot Veggie Broth Recipe Notes
So, it occurred to me how silly it is to buy broth in a box when I've got everything I need to make it at home for a fraction of the cost.
I'm even going to try to begin saving my vegetable odds and ends in a sealable bag in the freezer.
Good candidates to be added include vegetables that have wilted beyond saving, the leafy ends of celery, trimmings from carrots and carrots, etc.
Once the bag gets full, you've got the makings of a batch of homemade slow cooker vegetable broth!
This simple broth recipe is based around onions, carrots and celery—which are collectively known as mirepoix. The ratio for traditional mirepoix is 2:1:1, two parts onion, one part carrot and one part celery.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Vegetable Broth?
According to my calculations, each serving has about 16 calories and:
0 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
0 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
0 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
0 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
And I almost forgot. This slow cooked vegetable broth is Simply Filling.
If you've made this Easy Vegetable Broth, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Cheap & Easy Slow Cooker Vegetable Broth
- 2-3 onions, roughly chopped
- 2-3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3-4 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small handful parsley (10-12 sprigs)
- ½ teaspoon whole peppercorns
- Optional Extras: leeks, parsnips, fennel, tomatoes, mushrooms, greens
- Add the chopped vegetables and herbs to your slow cooker. (I used my 6-Quart.)
- Fill with water to within a half inch of the top of your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- When the broth has finished cooking allow it to cool in the crock pot, then strain it through a fine mesh sieve into a pot or bowl.
- Use the back of a spoon to press the veggies against the sieve to strain out all of the flavorful juices.
- Store the cooled stock in mason jars , or other tightly sealed containers in the fridge for 3-5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
If you like slow cooker vegetable broth, you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!