WW Recipe of the Day: Mom’s Best Chili Ever
(295 calories | *7 WW SmartPoints)
Here’s another delicious recipe from Mom. She is calling it her Best Chili Recipe Ever which is saying something, because 1) she’s made quite a few pots of chili through the years, and 2) she is particular when it comes to the flavor of her food!
She shared some of her best chili ever with me and I agree with her assessment. It was full of flavor without being too spicy, filling but not overly heavy.
Skinny on Mom’s Best Chili Recipe Ever
Mom made a few changes to the original recipe, which she has noted in parenthesis. To keep this WW friendly, you may want to use all lean ground beef. But if you’re more interested in maximum flavor, I’d say do what she did – use half ground beef and half sausage.
According to my calculations, each servings has 296 calories, *7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *7 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Take it away Mom…
“My BEST chili recipe ever – and I used combination ingredients from several recipes! Found it to be a lighter version than many that I’ve made; filling without that ‘heavy’ feeling! Nourishing and really delicious — as also stated by my working crew that I fed for lunch and my daughter – another food critic!! All agreed. Hope you do too!!”
If you’ve made Mom’s Best Chili Ever, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Best Chili Recipe Ever
- 2 pounds 95% lean ground beef (I substituted 1 pound Jimmy Dean Sausage with Sage and 1 pound ground sirloin)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4-5 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/2 large red or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) chili beans in sauce (I used S&W brand in zesty sauce)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (10 ounces) Rotel tomatoes (w/green chili peppers)
- 1 can (4.5 ounces) mild green chile peppers
- 1 can (29 ounces) whole tomatoes, chopped; or 2 cans (14 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a stock pot set over medium heat, cook the the ground sirloin and sausage, stirring and breaking up the clumps, until no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and continue to cook until the onion is softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to mix.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and then reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for approximately 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and stand for a while (ideally, at least 20 minutes) to give the mixture time to thicken and flavors to meld further.
- Serve warm with optional garnishes if desired.
- Optional garnishes: cheese, raw onions, tortilla chips and freshly squeezed lime.
A few more notes from the cook: “I believe that next time I make it, I would use the same ingredients and seasonings, but would also add a few more veggies: sliced mushrooms (for sure) and maybe some zucchini. All in all, very flavorful and satisfying. For me, a ‘keeper’! I find the S&W brand of chili beans have just the perfect amount of seasoning, and will also continue to use that brand. (I found them at the 99c store!!)”
Recipe submitted by: Marge M., Phoenix, Arizona
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Delicious Weight Watchers Chili Recipes
- Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili Verde
- Slow Cooker BBQ Turkey Chili
- Weight Watchers Chuck Wagon Chili for the Crock Pot
- Slow Cooker 3 Bean Turkey Chili
- Vegetarian Chili
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!