Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Barefoot Contessa’s Mustard Chicken Salad Made Lighter
Here’s my lightened up version of Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa Mustard Chicken Salad.
As soon as I spotted her Barefoot Contessa mustard chicken salad with broccoli and tomatoes in, Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That? Fabulous Recipes and Easy Tips , I knew I wanted to try it.
In the headnote, Ina says “This salad was a Barefoot Contessa staple for over twenty years.” How’s that for an endorsement?
I’m a huge fan of Garten’s recipes because they work and always turn out delicious.
The only down side is that they tend to be high in fat and calories, so I often give them a makeover, lightening them up in ways that don’t diminish their deliciousness.
The Skinny on Barefoot Contessa Mustard Chicken Salad
To make this mustard chicken salad Weight Watchers friendly, I substituted much of the mayonnaise with plain nonfat Greek yogurt and went a little heavy on the 0 PointsPlus broccoli and tomatoes.
I opted to make a half batch, since her portions can be too large for our small family.
And I substituted sherry vinegar for tarragon vinegar and dried tarragon for fresh, since that’s what I had on hand.
I also went a little light on the mustard to better accommodate Rod’s taste preferences.
It worked. He gave this Barefoot Contessa Mustard Chicken Salad made Weight Watchers friendly two thumbs up!
According to my calculations, each serving of this lightened up mustard chicken salad has about 192 calories, *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus and *6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints.
Following the WW Freestyle Plan, this is now *4 Freestyle SmartPoints!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you enjoy this mustard chicken salad recipe, be sure to check out some of my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Chicken Salad with Apples & Cranberries, Easy Crunchy Asian Salad with Chicken, Skinny Broccoli Salad, WW Chicken Potato Salad and Skinny Curried Chicken Salad
If you’ve made this chicken salad, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Barefoot Contessa Mustard Chicken Salad Made Lighter
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups warm chopped cooked lean chicken (about 1-1/2 breasts)
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Blanch the broccoli by filling a large bowl with ice water and bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets to the boiling water and cook until crisp tender, 1 minute. Drain and place the broccoli in the ice water to cool. (This stops the cooking, sets the bright green color of the broccoli and makes it much more pleasant to eat.) Drain really, really well.
- Make the dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, yogurt, Dijon mustard, whole-grain mustard, sherry vinegar, tarragon and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add enough dressing to the warm chopped chicken to moisten it well. Add the broccoli and cherry tomatoes and mix gently to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours, giving the flavors time to develop.
- Remove from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- Sprinkle with additional salt, if desired.
Source: adapted from Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That? Fabulous Recipes and Easy Tips by Ina Garten
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy Healthy WW Friendly Chicken Salads:
- Scoopable Chinese Chicken Salad (HungryGirl)
- Lighter Chicken Salad (SkinnyTaste)
- Derby City Chicken Salad Made Lighter (DrizzleMeSkinny)
- Avocado Chicken Salad (DashingDish)
- Low-Calories Buffalo Ranch Chicken Salad (SkinnyKitchen)
- Cilantro Chicken Salad (SkinnyTaste)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!