Here's my lightened up version of Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Mustard Chicken Salad.
As soon as I spotted her Barefoot Contessa mustard chicken salad with broccoli and tomatoes in, Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That? Fabulous Recipes and Easy Tips (affiliate link), I knew I wanted to try it.
In the headnote, Ina says "This salad was a Barefoot Contessa staple for over twenty years." How's that for an endorsement?
I'm a huge fan of Garten's recipes because they work and always turn out delicious. The only down side is that they tend to be high in fat and calories, so I often give them a makeover, lightening them up in ways that don't diminish their deliciousness.
To make this mustard chicken salad Weight Watchers friendly, I substituted much of the mayonnaise with a combination of light mayonnaise and plain nonfat Greek yogurt and went a little heavy on the 0 SmartPoints broccoli and tomatoes.
I opted to make a half batch, since her portions can be too large for our small family.
And I substituted sherry vinegar for tarragon vinegar and dried tarragon for fresh, since that's what I had on hand.
I also went a little light on the mustard to better accommodate Rod's taste preferences.
It worked. He gave this enlightened Mustard Chicken Salad two big thumbs up!
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Lightened Up Chicken Salad with Broccoli?
According to my calculations, each serving of this lightened up mustard chicken salad has about 164 calories and
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
Search for More Weight Watchers Friendly Salads
Are You Ready To Firmly Plant Yourself
On The Path To Lasting Weight Loss Success?
If you enjoy this mustard chicken salad recipe, be sure to check out some of my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Chicken Salad with Apples & Cranberries, Easy Crunchy Asian Salad with Chicken, Skinny Broccoli Salad, WW Chicken Potato Salad and Skinny Curried Chicken Salad
If you've made this Chicken Salad, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Barefoot Contessa Mustard Chicken Salad Made Lighter
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups warm chopped cooked lean chicken (about 1-½ breasts)
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Blanch the broccoli by filling a large bowl with ice water and bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets to the boiling water and cook until crisp tender, 1 minute. Drain and place the broccoli in the ice water to cool. (This stops the cooking, sets the bright green color of the broccoli and makes it much more pleasant to eat.) Drain really, really well.
- Make the dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, yogurt, Dijon mustard, whole-grain mustard, sherry vinegar, tarragon and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add enough dressing to the warm chopped chicken to moisten it well. Add the broccoli and cherry tomatoes and mix gently to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours, giving the flavors time to develop.
- Remove from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- Sprinkle with additional salt, if desired.
Source: adapted from Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That? Fabulous Recipes and Easy Tips (affiliate link) by Ina Garten
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy Healthy WW Friendly Chicken Salads:
- Scoopable Chinese Chicken Salad (HungryGirl)
- Lighter Chicken Salad (SkinnyTaste)
- Derby City Chicken Salad Made Lighter (DrizzleMeSkinny)
- Avocado Chicken Salad (DashingDish)
- Low-Calories Buffalo Ranch Chicken Salad (SkinnyKitchen)
- Cilantro Chicken Salad (SkinnyTaste)
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Leave a Reply