I made this simple strawberry salsa recently to go with the grilled pork we were planning for dinner.
It’s based on the Pam Anderson’s “Create-Your-Own Fruit Salsa” recipe from her book, The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great.
In her headnotes, Pam explains that you can “use whatever seasonal fruit you’ve got: mangoes, peaches, nectarines, apricots, plums, oranges, grapefruit, grapes, melons, strawberries, blueberries, apples, or pear. Or use a mix of fruit.
Since it’s strawberry season what I had was strawberries!
She goes on to explain that you should choose a bell pepper color to contrast with the fruit, which means I should have used green or yellow to contrast with the strawberries. Unfortunately, I only had a red one so I went with it.
The Weight Watchers Skinny on this Strawberry Salsa
Fresh fruit salsas are a delicious way to boost your intake of fruits and vegetables.
This strawberry salsa recipe makes a generous 2 cups of salsa, or about 6 (1/3-cup) servings. And it’s made exclusively from Weight Watchers Power Foods so it’s Simply Filling.
According to my nutritional estimates each 1/3-cup serving has 29 calories and 1 Weight Watchers Points Plus. But since it’s all fruits and vegetables I would consider it 0. Would you?
Although my photo doesn’t do it justice, this was just the right thing to perk up our pork. It would be great on grilled chicken, shrimp or fish too.
- 2 cups finely diced strawberries (or whatever fresh fruit you prefer)
- ½ medium yellow, red, or green pepper, finely diced
- 3 medium scallions, sliced thin, or ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice or rice wine vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, basil, parsley, or mint leaves
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, stir together all the ingredients, using the smaller amount of lime juice or vinegar and fresh herbs listed and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Let stand at room temperature for 10 to 30 minutes, for the flavors to blend.
- Before serving, taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more lime juice or vinegar, herbs and salt and pepper as needed.
I used rice wine vinegar and fresh mint because that's what I had on hand.
Source: The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great
*PointsPlus® for strawberry salsa calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Today’s food for thought…
“To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.”
Do you have a favorite quote? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.