Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 84)
I made this slow cooker chicken and sausage gumbo over the weekend and really liked how it turned out.
It was easy to put together and tasted great.
As a starting off point, I used the recipe for slow cooker chicken sausage gumbo from Betty Crocker’s Slow Cooker Cookbook.
Then made a few changes to jazz it up a bit.
Served over rice with warm crusty bread, this slow cooker chicken and sausage gumbo was ready-and-waiting for us when we got home from the movies
Each generous serving has just 270 calories and *7 Weight Watchers points plus.
- ¾ pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ pound fully cooked smoked sausage, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped (1 cup)
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika (optional)
- 10 ounces frozen cut okra, thawed and drained (2-1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Hot red pepper sauce, for serving, if desired
- I used my 4-Quart slow cooker.
- Put the chicken, sausage, celery, bell pepper, onion, undrained tomatoes, broth, tapioca, thyme and paprika (if using) in the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until the chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
- Add the okra and worcestershire sauce. Cover and continue to cook on low until the okra is tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the chopped scallions.
- Serve over cooked rice with hot pepper sauce, if desired.
Source: Adapted from Betty Crocker’s Slow Cooker Cookbook
If you liked slow cooker chicken and sausage gumbo you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker chicken and sausage gumbo calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.