(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 69)
I made this easy Cranberry Nut Bread in the Slow Cooker to use up what remained of the slow cooker raspberry apple cranberry sauce I made for Thanksgiving (but haven’t yet posted).
Different from your typical cranberry nut bread made with fresh cranberries, but just as delicious, I modified an easy cranberry nut bread recipe from one of my favorite old cookbooks, Sylvia’s Cakes & Breads: Famous Recipes from a Small Maine Kitchen.
In addition to baking this easy cranberry nut bread in the slow cooker, I substituted plain yogurt for the milk and used half white whole wheat flour.
It turned out moist and flavorful.
Each slice has 193 calories and 5 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- ⅔ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 cup whole cranberry sauce
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Grease a loaf pan that will fit in your slow cooker well. (I used an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan in my 6-Quart oval crockpot.)
- Create a trivet that will fit into the bottom of your slow cooker. You can make a coil from aluminum foil. Or use several of the metal rings from canning jars, which is what I do.)
- In a large bowl whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt, and sugar until well blended. Add the egg, yogurt, melted butter, cranberry sauce and chopped walnuts and stir just until blended.
- Scrape the batter into your loaf pan.
- Place the pan in your slow cooker.
- Cover and prop the lid open at one end with a wooden spoon handle or chopstick to let steam escape.
- Cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Carefully remove the loaf pan from your slow cooker and cool on a rack for 15 minutes and then remove the loaf from the pan and place it on the rack to cool completely.
- Cut into 12 slices.
I used a cup of homemade slow cooker raspberry apple cranberry sauce, but canned whole berry cranberry sauce will work too.
Source: Adapted from Sylvia’s Cakes & Breads: Famous Recipes from a Small Maine Kitchen
If you liked easy cranberry nut bread in the slow cooker you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for easy cranberry nut bread calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.