(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 49 – Slow Cooker Sausage Apple Stuffing)
My countdown to Thanksgiving continues with a slow cooker sausage apple stuffing. It seems kinda crazy to be making and eating all these Thanksgiving foods – turkey breast, sweet potato apple casserole, pumpkin soup and pumpkin bread – so close to Thanksgiving.
But, Rod doesn’t seem to mind. He loves Thanksgiving food. And my inner geek loves having all these slow cooker Thanksgiving recipes tested in advance. It will make cooking Thanksgiving dinner that much less stressful. And I really don’t have that much to do for Thanksgiving dinner because my mom and sister are sharing the cooking responsibilities with me:-)
I’ll make the turkey, gravy, stuffing and my yummy slow cooker pumpkin pie pudding. And they’ll provide the rest!
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Sausage Apple Stuffing
I’m really glad I tested this slow cooker sausage apple stuffing recipe from More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: 200 Brand-New, Budget-Friendly, Slow-Cooker Recipes. I loved its flavor. But I found the cooking instructions – 2 to 3 hours on high – didn’t work for my slow cooker, which definitely runs hot. At 2 hours, my slow cooker sausage apple stuffing was dry and seriously scorched around the bottom and sides 🙁 I managed to salvage it by adding more chicken broth and giving it a good stir. It was good and Mom gave it her approval. But it wasn’t as moist as Rod and I like.
This may be due to the fact that I used a bag of stuffing mix, instead of toasted bread and eliminated the butter to save a few calories and points. In her original recipe, Steph used gluten-free rice bread which is heavy and moist.
So, I’ve adjusted the instructions, adding more broth and cooking on LOW, which is what I’ll do when I make it again for Thanksgiving.
UPDATE: This is how I made it for Thanksgiving and it turned out great…moist and delicious!!
- 6 ounces ground turkey sausage, browned and drained
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chopped apple (I used honey crisp)
- 1 package (12 to 14 ounces) stuffing mix (I like Pepperidge Farms)
- Heat the broth, poultry seasoning, black pepper, celery and onion in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring often.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the stuffing mix, chopped apple and cooked sausage and mix lightly.
- Spoon the stuffing mixture into a greased 4-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 3 to 4 hours.
Source: Adapted from More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: 200 Brand-New, Budget-Friendly, Slow-Cooker Recipes
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker sausage apple stuffing calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked reading about slow cooker sausage apple stuffing, you might also like these recipes perfect for a Slow Cooker Thanksgiving:
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.