WW Recipe of the Day – Slow Cooker Sausage Apple Stuffing
(168 calories | *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
My countdown to Thanksgiving continues with a yummy slow cooker sausage apple stuffing.
But, Rod doesn’t seem to mind.
He loves Thanksgiving food.
And my inner geek loves having all these slow cooker Thanksgiving recipes tested in advance. It will make cooking Thanksgiving dinner that much less stressful.
And I really don’t have that much to do for Thanksgiving dinner because my mom and sister are sharing the cooking responsibilities with me:-)
I’ll make the turkey, gravy, stuffing and my yummy slow cooker pumpkin pie pudding.
And they’ll provide the rest!
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Sausage Apple Stuffing
I’m really glad I tested this slow cooker sausage apple stuffing recipe from More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: 200 Brand-New, Budget-Friendly, Slow-Cooker Recipes .
I loved its flavor.
But I found the cooking instructions—2 to 3 hours on HIGH—didn’t work for my slow cooker, which definitely runs hot.
At 2 hours, my slow cooker sausage apple stuffing was dry and seriously scorched around the bottom and sides 🙁
I managed to salvage it by adding more chicken broth and giving it a good stir.
It was good and Mom gave it her approval. But it wasn’t as moist as Rod and I like.
This may be due to the fact that I used a bag of stuffing mix, instead of toasted bread and eliminated the butter to save a few calories and points.
In her original recipe, Steph used gluten-free rice bread which is heavy and moist.
So, I’ve adjusted the instructions, adding more broth and cooking on LOW, which is what I’ll do when I make it again for Thanksgiving.
UPDATE: This is how I made it for Thanksgiving and it turned out great…moist and delicious!!
According to my calculations, each serving has about 168 calories, *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
If you liked reading about slow cooker sausage apple stuffing, you might also like these recipes perfect for a Slow Cooker Thanksgiving: Slow Cooker Turkey Breast, Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Apple Casserole, Slow Cooker Brussels Sprouts
If you’ve made this low fat Crock Pot Sausage Apple Stuffing, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Sausage Apple Stuffing Recipe
- 6 ounces ground turkey sausage, browned and drained
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1.5 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1.5 cups chopped apple
- 1 package (12 to 14 ounces) stuffing mix (I like Pepperidge Farms )
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4-Quart.
- Heat the broth, poultry seasoning, black pepper, celery and onion in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring often.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the stuffing mix, chopped apple and cooked sausage and mix lightly.
- Spoon the stuffing mixture into a greased 4-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 3 to 4 hours, until heated through.
Source: Adapted from More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: 200 Brand-New, Budget-Friendly, Slow-Cooker Recipes by Stephanie O’Dea
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Here’s a great video showing more ideas for lightening up Thanksgiving dinner without sacrificing taste…
More Weight Watchers Friendly Thanksgiving Recipes:
- 10 Thanksgiving Recipes You Can Make in Your CrockPot (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Chicken Sausage & Herb Stuffing (SkinnyTaste)
- Stuffing Muffins (EmilyBites)
- Crantastic Apple Cornbread Stuffing (HungryGirl)
- Lighter Thanksgiving Recipes for Weight Watchers (Simple-Nourished-Living)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!