This light and healthy summer vegetable soup is a deliciously satisfying way to use some of the vegetables from your garden that can be so plentiful right now.
Or, if you are like me and don’t have a garden, this summer vegetable soup will still be delicious made with vegetables from the grocery store!
Skinny on Summer Vegetable Soup
I adapted this summer vegetable soup recipe slightly from 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness. A cookbook I’ve mentioned several times before, it’s one of my favorites for easy, healthy and delicious dishes. And because complete nutrition is provided for each recipe, it’s easy to calculate Weight Watchers Points. (Here’s my complete review.)
Since I couldn’t find whole grain orzo, I substituted the smallest whole grain pasta I could find. And it all turned out delicious.
This summer vegetable soup recipe makes 6 generous 1-3/4 cup servings, each with just *4 PointsPlus. I love to make a batch on Sunday to enjoy for lunch during the week.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 2 cans (14 to 15 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (frozen is fine too)
- 6 cups water
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ cup whole wheat orzo (or other small pasta)
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves, chopped, divided
- In a large saucepan or soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring all the while, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the zucchini, tomatoes with their juice, corn and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Stir in the green beans, orzo and ½ cup of the basil and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the orzo is tender, 12 to 20 minutes. Stir in the remaining basil.
*The PointsPlus® values for these products and/or recipes were calculated by Simple Nourished Living and are not an endorsement or approval of the product, recipe or its manufacturer or developer by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
If you liked this summer vegetable soup recipe, here are a few more favorite for you to consider:
If this is your first time visiting Simple Nourished Living – welcome! If you like what you have found, please join me on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest or sign up to have my recipes and posts delivered by email. I’m always sharing easy, practical ideas for living happy, healthy and slim.
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!