This light and creamy pureed potato soup is another winner from The Bonne Femme Cookbook: Simple, Splendid Food That French Women Cook Every Day by Wini Moranville, a cookbook I’m having a lot of fun with at the moment.
A huge fan of pureed potato soup, this one is fresher and lighter than most, with a healthy dose of fresh herbs, just a touch of cream and no additional thickeners. Rod, a man who much prefers subtle flavors, called it ambrosial.
Terrific as a first course, this Silky and Light Potato Soup is perfect as part of a light supper served with salad and warm crusty bread. As I’ve mentioned several times here on Simple Nourished Living, homemade soup for supper is one of my favorite simple and delicious winning weight loss strategies.
If you have never cooked with leeks, there’s a helpful video at the end of this post for a skinny chunky potato leek soup from Jamie Oliver.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium-size leeks (white and pale green parts only), halved lengthwise, rinsed and sliced crosswise (about 1 cup)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pounds white or yellow potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- ½ cup snipped fresh parsley, chervil, or chives, or a combination
- Place the butter in a 4 quart saucepan and melt it over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring until softened, but not brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth so that it doesn’t splatter and then add the potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat and then lower the heat, cover the pan, and cook at an active simmer until the potatoes are very tender and can easily be pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow the soup to cool slightly. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Return the soup to the saucepan and reheat gently over low heat. Stir in the cream. Taste and add more salt and/or pepper if needed.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with the fresh herbs.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Potato Soup Recipes
Easy Slow Cooker Potato Soup
Slow Cooker Spanish Potato Onion Soup
Skinny Potato Leek Soup – a chunky version from Jamie Oliver
Skinny Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut Milk