I hope you’ll try this slow cooker corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick’s Day!
For many of us, it wouldn’t be St. Patrick’s Day without indulging in a plate of corned beef and cabbage.
It was definitely a hot topic at my Weight Watchers meeting this week (along with green beer).
While I’m not the least bit interested in green beer.
(Give me a Guinness thank you very much. It’s a whole lot more filling with fewer calories.
Did you know that Guinness Draught has about 125 calories, while the same about of Budweiser has 145 and skim milk, 129? But I digress!)
I’m definitely a fan of corned beef:-)
Mom always makes her corned beef and cabbage on the stove top, so for many years I carried on the tradition.
But since I’m always looking for ways to make things quicker, easier and simpler, I decided to try making slow cooker corned beef and cabbage instead.
I’m so glad I did.
I turned to the Fix-It And Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes, which had several slow cooker corned beef recipes from which to choose.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
I opted for a “light” recipe, making just a few minor adjustments. The recipe called for only 1 cup of water, so the meat braises instead of boils (think steam room instead of hot tub) leaving it moist and tender, not wet and slimy or dried out. Next time I may try adding a little Irish beer for an extra flavor boost.
Making slow cooker corned beef is incredibly easy and amazingly delicious so it will be my go-to way of preparing if from now on.
- 3 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large onion, cut into pieces
- 4 medium red or yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 cup water
- 1 4-pound corned beef with the seasoning packet
- ½ a small head of cabbage, cut into wedges
- Place the carrots, celery, onion and potatoes in the slow cooker. Add the water. Add the beef and seasoning packet.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours (or until the meat and vegetables are fork tender.)
- minutes to 1 hour before serving add the cabbage so that it cooks without becoming overdone.
- Remove the corned beef and slice against the grain. Serve with the vegetables and mustard or horseradish, if desired
Large chunks of peeled parsnips and/or turnips would also be delicious.
Slightly adapted from Fix-It And Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes
Best & Worst Beers in America (Men’s Health Eat This Not That)
Guinness: A Dieter’s Beer Choice (That’s Fit)
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker corned beef and cabbage calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If You Liked this Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage You Might Also Like:
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!