Weight Watchers SmartPoints Recipes of the Day: Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage 3 Ways
St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner so I’ve got 3 slow cooker corned beef recipes for you to consider celebrating it with. For many of us, it wouldn’t be St. Patrick’s Day without indulging in a plate of corned beef and cabbage. It certainly wouldn’t for me. It was a hot topic at my Weight Watchers meeting this week (along with green beer).
While I’m not the least bit interested in green beer. (Give me a Guinness thank you very much. It’s a whole lot more filling with fewer calories. Did you know that Guinness Draught has about 125 calories, while the same about of Budweiser has 145 and skim milk, 129? But I digress!)
I’m definitely a fan of corned beef:-) Mom always makes her corned beef and cabbage on the stove top, so for many years I carried on the tradition. But since I’m always looking for ways to make things quicker, easier and simpler, for the past few years I’ve been experimenting with different slow cooker corned beef and cabbage recipes instead. I’m so glad I did.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage 3 Ways
The first time, I opted for a “light” recipe, making just a few minor adjustments. The recipe called for only 1 cup of water, so the meat braises instead of boils (think steam room instead of hot tub) leaving it moist and tender, not wet and slimy or dried out. The next time I braised it in beer for an extra flavor boost. And most recently I slathered on a mustard-maple glaze and skipped the liquid altogether. I loved them all and would be hard pressed to chose a favorite! So, I’ve listed them all here for you.
Making slow cooker corned beef is incredibly easy and amazingly delicious so it will be my go-to way of preparing if from now on.
Recipe#1: Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 3 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large onion, cut into pieces
- 4 medium red or yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 cup water
- 1 4-pound corned beef with the seasoning packet
- ½ a small head of cabbage, cut into wedges
- Place the carrots, celery, onion and potatoes in the slow cooker. Add the water. Add the beef and seasoning packet.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours (or until the meat and vegetables are fork tender.)
- minutes to 1 hour before serving add the cabbage so that it cooks without becoming overdone.
- Remove the corned beef and slice against the grain. Serve with the vegetables and mustard or horseradish, if desired
Large chunks of peeled parsnips and/or turnips would also be delicious.
Source: Slightly adapted from Fix-It And Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes
References: Best & Worst Beers in America (Men’s Health Eat This Not That)
Guinness: A Dieter’s Beer Choice (That’s Fit)
Recipe #2: CrockPot Beer Braised Beef
This is slow cooking at its best. Everything cooks together for a meal you’ll anticipate all day!
- 4 medium red-skinned potatoes, quartered
- 4 carrots, cut into 1-1/2 inch chunks
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 3-pound corned beef brisket, juices and spices reserved
- 12 ounces light beer
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 5 to 6-quart
- Place the potatoes, carrots, onions in the slow cooker. Sprinkle with the thyme and add the bay leaf. Trim any excess fat from the meat. Place the meat on top of the vegetables. Pour reserved juices and spices from the brisket and the beef over the mixture.
- Cover and cook on LOW until the meat and vegetables are tender - 8 to 10 hours or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard. Transfer meat to a serving platter and thinly slice across the grain. Using a slotted spoon transfer the vegetables to a serving bowl. Rest the cooking liquid. Serve the cooking liquid with the meat and vegetables.
Recipe #3: Slow Cooker Maple Mustard Glazed Corned Beef
- 3 pounds corned beef, trimmed of fat (discard the spice packet)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1-1/2 tablespoons mustard (preferably the grainy kind)
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 6-Quart
- Spray the inside of your crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Unwrap the corned beef, and discard the seasoning packet and trim as much of the fat from the meat as you can. In a small bowl, stir together the maple syrup and mustard. Rub this mixture all over the meat. Place the meat into your crockpot, and cover. (There's not need to add liquid.) Cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or until meat pulls apart easily with a fork. Let sit for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
- Cook you vegetables separately or add them to the pot around the meat. Small red potatoes, carrots, and cabbage wedges are traditional. Again, no need to add additional liquid.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers zero points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If You Liked this Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage You Might Also Like:
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.