How about a little chocolate indulgence from French Women Don’t Get Fat? If you’re a classic chocolate mousse lover looking to shave a few calories and PointsPlus where you can, here’s a Mousse au chocolat recipe you’re sure to love.
In the headnote for her recipe, author Mireille Guiliano explains that her family has at least a dozen different chocolate mousse recipes, since it’s the French standard choice for homemade chocolate desserts. This is her personal favorite, pure & simple, without butter, coffee, cream or other flavorings and just a little sugar. It has more egg whites than yolks, which makes it lighter too.
It’s made the classic French way: with raw eggs. If this is a concern, you can substitute pasteurized egg whites, just be sure they can be whipped. (Some can’t be.) Or check out this eggless chocolate mousse recipe that uses melted marshmallows and has only 5 PointsPlus.
I made this on Sunday as a special treat. It’s rich, creamy, dark and delicious. Rod kept saying he didn’t want it to end, but alas, all good things do.
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (with at least 70 percent cacao preferred)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over a pan of simmering water. (Since I don’t have a double boiler, I make my own by placing a glass heat proof bowl over a medium-size saucepan.)
- Remove the chocolate from the heat and stir in the sugar.
- Let the chocolate cool a bit and then stir in the yolks, one at a time.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and a pinch of salt with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold ⅓ of the whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the remaining whites, being very gentle so you don’t deflate the whites.
- Divide the mousse evenly among 6 small dessert dishes or pour into a serving bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours until firm.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Chocolate Dessert Recipes:
Chocolate Pots de Creme – a super easy chocolate dessert
Classic Chocolate Mousse
Easy Chocolate Mint Whipped Cream Pie
Chocolate Ricotta Mousse (SkinnyTaste)
Double Chocolate Pudding (Weight Watchers)