I love taco salads, but the fat and calories can really add up in a hurry, especially in the retaurant versions, making them a real dietary disaster!
According to Taco Bell’s nutrition information, their taco salad weighs in with a hefty 780 calories, 42 g fat, 74 g carbs, 11 g fiber and 26 g protein for a Weight Watchers Points Plus value (PPV) of 20. The chicken taco salad at Culver’s, is a little better – 526 calories, 25 g fat, 42 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 33 g protein and 14 PPV.
But that’s still way too many for most of us living the Weight Watchers lifestyle trying to stay within our daily PointsPlus target.
That’s why I prefer to make and eat my taco salads at home where I can control of the quantity and quality of ingredients I use. It satisfies my cravings for Mexican food without using up too many Points. By using lots of vegetables and going light on the chips and cheese.
Skinny on My Homemade Taco Salad
Here’s an example of an easy healthy taco salad I made for lunch yesterday with just 7 PointsPlus. We had Mom over for tacos on Sunday night, so there were lots of great leftovers and other yummy ingredients in the fridge and pantry to work with.
- 2 cups shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce (0 PPV)
- ¼ cup chopped cucumber (0 PPV)
- ¼ cup chopped grape tomatoes (0 PPV)
- ¼ chopped red bell pepper (0 PPV)
- ½ cup fat free refried beans (2 PPV)
- ½ cup seasoned cooked ground turkey (3 PPV)
- ¼ cup shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese blend (1 PPV)
- ½ cup salsa (0 PPV)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion (0 PPV)
- 1 tablespoon sliced black olives
- 6 baked low fat tortilla chips crumbled (1 PPV)
- 1 tablespoon nonfat plain Greek yogurt (0 PPV)
- To turn these ingredients into a salad, place the shredded or chopped lettuce in a bowl and arrange all the other ingredients on top in whatever order you like best. Because the salsa adds so much flavor and moisture, you don't even need dressing.
This basic template can be modified all kinds of ways depending on your individual likes and dislikes and what you’ve got available. Here are a few more ideas:
Other Easy Healthy Taco Salad Options
- Leftover chopped chicken
- Seasoned lean ground beef
- Seasoned brown rice
- Black beans
- Sliced jalapenos
- Chopped red onion
- Corn Salsa
- Roasted corn
- Chopped avocado
- Nonfat or low fat sour cream
*PointsPlus® for calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Links to More Easy Healthy Taco Salads
- Cooking Light Quick Taco Salad (My Recipes)
- Vegetarian Taco Salad (Eating Well)
- 10 Minute Taco Salad (Dashing Dish)
- Chicken Taco Salad (LaaLoosh)