We enjoyed this lightened up spaghetti with white wine clam sauce for dinner last night. It’s adapted a from this Weight Watchers recipe, that seemed to need a little tweaking, based on the reviews.
I’m a huge fan of linguini and clam sauce. It’s quick and easy, coming together in minutes, with minimal ingredients that I’ve usually got on hand. But some recipes for linguini and clam sauce can be really high in calories and PointsPlus values.
For years I used a recipe given to me my a friend, that had a stick of butter and 1/2 cup olive oil and a whole lot of Parmesan in it. Yes, it was delicious. And yes, it was just that kind of cooking and eating that landed me in Weight Watchers!
Skinny on Lightened Up Spaghetti with White Clam Sauce
This version of spaghetti with white wine clam sauce has only 1 tablespoon of olive oil, so it’s low in fat. The red pepper flakes give it a nice little kick, but if you’re not a fan, leave them out. And I added an extra can of clams, since they’re a WW power food and I like my linguini (or in this case, gluten-free brown rice spaghetti) with lots of clams.
According to my calculations each serving has 334 calories and *9 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
- 1 pound uncooked linguini or spaghetti (I used brown rice spaghetti)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- 3 cans (6.5 ounces) minced or chopped clams, drained with liquid reserved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the spaghetti, according to instructions on package until it's al dente and then drain it well.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet or saucepan, gently heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, for about 15 to 20 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the reserved clam juice and white wine. Bring to a boil and then continue to boil, uncovered, for about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently until the liquid begins to reduce, about 5 minutes.
- Add the clams and simmer until just heated, about 30 to 60 seconds. Then stir in the parsley and basil
- Add pasta and toss until it’s well coated, about 30 to 45 seconds.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
*PointsPlus® for calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
We enjoyed a plate of tomatoes and mozzarella with our spaghetti and clams (Oops, I shot the photo before I sprinkled it with salt and drizzled it with olive oil.)
If you liked this spaghetti and white wine clam sauce post, check out these links:
- My recipe for pasta alla puttanesca
- My recipe for skinny pasta with broccoli and chicken
- A recipe for steamed clams with fresh basil (SkinnyTaste)
- A recipe for linguini with spicy red clam sauce (Cooking Light)
- Did you know that clams have more iron than beef? Here’s an interesting article on the health benefits of clams (LiveStrong)