WW Recipe of the Day: Spaghetti with White Wine Clam Sauce
(334 calories | 10 10 10 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
We enjoyed this lightened up spaghetti with white wine clam sauce for dinner last night. It’s adapted a from this Weight Watchers recipe, that seemed to need a little tweaking, based on the reviews.
I’m a huge fan of linguini and clam sauce. It’s quick and easy, coming together in minutes, with minimal ingredients that I’ve usually got on hand. But some recipes for linguini and clam sauce can be really high in calories and WW Points values.
For years I used a recipe given to me my a friend, that had a stick of butter and 1/2 cup olive oil and a whole lot of Parmesan in it.
Yes, it was delicious. And yes, it was just that kind of cooking and eating that landed me in Weight Watchers!
Skinny on Lightened Up Spaghetti with White Clam Sauce
This version of spaghetti with white wine clam sauce has only 1 tablespoon of olive oil, so it’s low in fat.
The red pepper flakes give it a nice little kick, but if you’re not a fan, leave them out.
And I added an extra can of clams, since they’re a WW Power Food and I like my linguini (or in this case, gluten-free brown rice spaghetti) with lots of clams.
How Many Calories and Points in this Spaghetti Clam Sauce Dinner?
According to my calculations each serving made with regular spaghetti has 334 calories and:
10 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
10 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
10 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
9 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Save points by substituting whole wheat spaghetti.
Each serving made with whole wheat spaghetti has:
9 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
We enjoyed a plate of tomatoes and mozzarella with our spaghetti and clams (Oops, I shot the photo before I sprinkled it with salt and drizzled it with olive oil.)
Cooking Notes & Ingredient Substitutions:
Have all your ingredients measured and prepared before you start cooking. That way you can give your attention to the sauce, which will be ready in about the time it takes your pasta to cook.
If you don’t have white wine, substitute 1/4 cup of bottled clam juice instead.
I used brown rice spaghetti to keep it gluten-free, but use whatever kind of linguini or spaghetti you like best.
If you enjoy this lightened up white wine clam sauce with spaghetti, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder, Shrimp Risotto, WW Budget Bouillabaisse, New England Fish Chowder and Sheet Pan Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli
If you’ve made this Spaghetti with Clam Sauce, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Lightened Up Spaghetti with White Wine Clam Sauce
- 1 pound uncooked linguini or spaghetti (I used brown rice spaghetti)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- 3 cans (6.5 ounces each) minced or chopped clams, drained with liquid reserved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the spaghetti, according to instructions on package until it's al dente and then drain it well.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet or saucepan, gently heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, for about 15 to 20 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the reserved clam juice and white wine. Bring to a boil and then continue to boil, uncovered, for about 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently until the liquid begins to reduce, about 5 minutes.
- Add the clams and simmer until just heated, about 30 to 60 seconds. Then stir in the parsley and basil.
- Add pasta and toss until it's well coated, about 30 to 45 seconds.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this spaghetti with white wine clam sauce, check out these links:
- My recipe for pasta alla puttanesca
- A recipe for steamed clams with fresh basil (SkinnyTaste)
- My recipe for skinny pasta with broccoli and chicken
- A recipe for linguini with spicy red clam sauce (Cooking Light)
Did you know that clams have more iron than beef? Here’s an interesting article on the health benefits of clams (LiveStrong)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!