Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Skinny Broccoli & Chicken Pasta
Pasta, and chicken in a simple olive oil, garlic and broccoli sauce.
This is one of my favorite quick and easy pasta recipes.
The Skinny on Pasta with Chicken & Broccoli
I’ve been making it for years, ever since a work friend shared it with me over lunch one day decades ago.
I used to make it with penne or rigatoni, but now I use whatever short-cut gluten-free pasta I happen to have in the pantry. Last night it was rotini.
I like to cook the broccoli along with the pasta, so it falls apart upon stirring and becomes a course puree. It’s delicious with or without the chicken, so leave it out if you like.
I’ve made it lighter and healthier through the years too – by using less olive oil and more chicken broth, white wine and some of the reserved pasta water.
Be sure to use good cheese in this simple recipe – not the cheap stuff; it’s just not the same. Either Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano work well.
You can also add some crushed red pepper flakes for a little heat if you like.
I like to serve it with a simple mixed green salad.
According to my calculations, each serving has about 360 calories, *9 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *8 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
In this short video, Laura Vitale shows how she makes light & healthy pasta with broccoli:
- 6 ounces penne or rotini pasta (about 3 cups)
- 4-1/2 cups broccoli florets (about 12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 12 ounces chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. When water boils, add a generous handful of salt, add pasta and broccoli and cook according to pasta instructions for al dente. When pasta is almost done cooking, reserve about 1/2 cup of the pasta water and set aside. Drain the pasta and broccoli.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and chicken and cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth and wine, if using, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pasta and broccoli to the skillet, along with the grated cheese, salt and pepper and mix well.
- If the mixture seems dry, add the reserved pasta water, a little at a time, using only as much as needed.
- Serve immediately pasta bowls with additional grated cheese and red pepper flakes on the side
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: *9
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints: *8
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Skinny Pasta with Broccoli and Chicken Recipe, you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!