Pasta, and chicken in a simple olive oil, garlic and broccoli sauce.
This is one of my favorite quick and easy pasta recipes.
I’ve been making it for years, ever since a work friend shared it with me over lunch one day decades ago.
I used to make it with penne or rigatoni, but now I use whatever short-cut gluten-free pasta I happen to have in the pantry. Last night it was rotini.
I like to cook the broccoli as long as the pasta, so it falls apart upon stirring and becomes a course puree. It’s delicious with or without the chicken, so leave it out if you like.
Can't Decide What To Cook After A Long Day?
Weekly Meal Plans + Shopping Lists = Healthier, Happier You!
Healthy Meal Planning Made Easy allows you to create custom healthy meal plans with WW SmartPoints that fit your family size, schedule, and most importantly taste delicious.
I’ve made it lighter and healthier through the years too – by using less olive oil and more chicken broth, white wine and some of the reserved pasta water.
Be sure to use good cheese in this simple recipe – not the cheap stuff; it’s just not the same. Either Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano work well. You can also add some crushed red pepper flakes for a little heat if you like.
I like to serve it with a simple mixed green salad.
- 6 ounces penne or rotini pasta (about 3 cups)
- 4-1/2 cups broccoli florets (about 12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 12 ounces chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces (2 to 3
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup dry white wine (optional)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. When water boils, add a generous handful of salt, add pasta and broccoli and cook according to pasta instructions for al dente. When pasta is almost done cooking, reserve about ½ cup of the pasta water and set aside. Drain the pasta and broccoli.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and chicken and cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth and wine, if using, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pasta and broccoli to the skillet, along with the grated cheese, salt and pepper and mix well.
- If the mixture seems dry, add the reserved pasta water, a little at a time, using only as much as needed.
- Serve immediately pasta bowls with additional grated cheese and red pepper flakes on the side
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Skinny Past with Broccoli and Chicken Recipe, you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.