I made this Mediterranean Chicken and Penne Pasta for dinner Saturday night. It's a real keeper as far as I'm concerned. Both Rod and I really enjoyed it, which doesn't happen all the time.
Especially, when the recipe involves tomatoes, olives and feta cheese—ingredients I love, but Rod, not so much.
Served with a simple green salad, this Mediterranean chicken and pasta was as tasty as it was easy.
I found the recipe as I was flipping through Southern Living: Our Readers Top-Rated Recipes , a winner of a cookbook that I don't use nearly enough.
I was looking for a quick and easy dinner idea that would taste great and wouldn't require a trip to the grocery store.
Boy, did this Mediterranean Chicken and Pasta deliver!
I made a few modifications to the recipe to accommodate our tastes. The recipe suggests that you add the feta at the end, cover and let it stand for a few minutes. This would be delicious if you like feta cheese. Rod doesn't. So, I left it out and served it at the table, as a garnish, instead.
I also used an extra can of diced tomatoes since I like my pasta dishes really saucy. Next time I think I'll use one can of tomatoes and a can of artichoke hearts (drained and roughly chopped.)
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Pasta Dish?
According to my calculations, each serving (⅙th of recipe) has about 333 calories and:
6 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
8 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made this Mediterranean Chicken with Pasta, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Mediterranean Chicken & Pasta Recipe
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- ⅔ cup feta cheese
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for cooking the pasta.
- While you are waiting for the pasta water to boil, put the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until chicken is done, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet. Add the tomatoes, olives and herbs to the skillet. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for about 8 to 10 minutes, until it thickens slightly.
- While the sauce simmers and once the pasta water comes to a boil, slowly add a big handful of salt to the boiling water and then cook the pasta according to the package instructions. When it is done, drain.
- Once the sauce has simmered for about 8 to 10 minutes and thickened up, return the chicken to the skillet, stirring to combine. Sprinkle with the feta cheese and remove from the heat.
- Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately over the pasta (or stir the pasta into the chicken mixture and then serve).
Recipe Source: Southern Living: Our Readers Top-Rated Recipes
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Pasta Recipes
This video shows how to make Meatless Mediterranean-Style Vegetable Pasta with Zucchini Noodles...
- Light & Creamy One-Pot Pasta - easy, healthy and delicious - comfort food at it's finest
- Easy Baked Ziti - Pasta, ground turkey and tomato sauce baked together add up to classic comfort food
- Rustic Italian Penne & Chicken Sausage - a great easy healthy pasta recipe with chicken sausage and vegetables
- Skinny Pasta with Italian Sausage, Onions & Peppers
- Weight Watchers Pasta with Italian Chicken Sausage
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!