I made this Mediterranean Chicken and Penne Pasta for dinner Saturday night. It’s a real keeper as far as I’m concerned. Both Rod and I really enjoyed it, which doesn’t happen all the time.
Especially, when the recipe involves tomatoes, olives and feta cheese – ingredients I love, but Rod, not so much.
The Skinny on Mediterranean Pasta & Chicken
Served with a simple green salad, this Mediterranean chicken and pasta was as tasty as it was easy.
I found the recipe as I was flipping through Southern Living: Our Readers Top-Rated Recipes, a winner of a cookbook that I don’t use nearly enough.
I was looking for a quick and easy dinner idea that would taste great and wouldn’t require a trip to the grocery store.
Boy, did this Mediterranean Chicken and Pasta deliver!
I made a few modifications to the recipe to accommodate our tastes. The recipe suggests that you add the feta at the end, cover and let it stand for a few minutes. This would be delicious if you like feta cheese. Rod doesn’t. So, I left it out and served it at the table, as a garnish, instead.
I also used an extra can of diced tomatoes since I like my pasta dishes really saucy. Next time I think I’ll use one can of tomatoes and a can of artichoke hearts (drained and roughly chopped.)
According to my calculations, each serving (1/6th of recipe) has about 333 calories and *8 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
If you’ve made this Mediterranean Chicken with Pasta, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Mediterranean Chicken & Pasta Recipe
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup feta cheese
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for cooking the pasta.
- While you are waiting for the pasta water to boil, put the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until chicken is done, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet. Add the tomatoes, olives and herbs to the skillet. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for about 8 to 10 minutes, until it thickens slightly.
- While the sauce simmers and once the pasta water comes to a boil, slowly add a big handful of salt to the boiling water and then cook the pasta according to the package instructions. When it is done, drain.
- Once the sauce has simmered for about 8 to 10 minutes and thickened up, return the chicken to the skillet, stirring to combine. Sprinkle with the feta cheese and remove from the heat.
- Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately over the pasta (or stir the pasta into the chicken mixture and then serve).
Recipe Source: Southern Living: Our Readers Top-Rated Recipes
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
This video shows how to make Meatless Mediterranean-Style Vegetable Pasta with Zucchini Noodles…
If you like this Mediterranean Chicken and Penne Pasta, you might also like:
- Light & Creamy One-Pot Pasta – easy, healthy and delicious – comfort food at it’s finest
- Easy Baked Ziti – Pasta, ground turkey and tomato sauce baked together add up to classic comfort food
- Rustic Italian Penne & Chicken Sausage – a great easy healthy pasta recipe with chicken sausage and vegetables
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!