WW Recipe of the Day: Pasta with Italian Chicken Sausage & Kale
I came across this recipe for Weight Watchers Pasta with Chicken Sausage while searching for a kale recipe to make for this week's 38 Power Foods Blogging Group.
For the past eight weeks, a group of bloggers, led by Mireya of My Healthy Eating Habits, has been posting recipes using the healthy ingredients from Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine.
We're now up to ingredient #9 in the vegetables chapter: kale, a real nutritional powerhouse, rich in vitamins A, B6 & C, fiber, iron, calcium, and carotenoids.
I was introduced to kale several years ago while attending The Institute for Integrative Nutrition and have been a fan ever since.
As soon as I read all the great reviews on weightwatchers.com for this simple pasta with Italian chicken sausage and kale, I knew I wanted to try it.
The recipe suggests you use rigatoni, but any short cut pasta (such as penne or ziti) would work. I think this dish would be tasty with whole wheat pasta too, which I plan to try next time.
Also, I bumped up the amount of kale from 4 cups to six with good results. Who knew such a simple recipe with just 5 ingredients could be so satisfying?
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Pasta?
According to my calculations, each serving has 356 calories and:
8 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
8 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Add crushed red pepper flakes in with the sausage.
Substitute your favorite leafy green such as spinach, swiss chard, etc.
Substitute drained canned white beans for the sausage, be sure to bump up the flavor with more seasonings such as garlic, oregano, etc.
Chopped tomatoes would be nice. Add them once the kale has begun to wilt.
If you've made this Sausage & Kale Pasta, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Weight Watchers Pasta with Italian Chicken Sausage and Kale
- 2 cups short-cut pasta such as penne or rigatoni
- 8 ounces chicken or turkey sweet Italian sausage
- 6 cups kale with tough stems and ribs removed, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, remove sausage from casing and cook in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, breaking up sausage as it cooks, about 3 minutes. Add kale; cook, stirring frequently, until limp, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add broth to skillet and scrape up browned bits on bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon; season with salt and pepper.
- Cover skillet and reduce heat to low; cook until kale is tender, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and heat through. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Sprinkle each serving with about 2 tablespoons of cheese before serving.
Source: Weight Watchers
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
For more great delicious kale recipes, check out the blogs of these talented food-blogging ladies who are participating in the Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients group today:
- Alyce @ More Time at the Table
- Ansh @ Spice Roots
- Jeanette @ Jeanette's Healthy Living
- Jill @ Saucy Cooks
- Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
- Sarah @ Everything in the Kitchen Sink
- Casey @ Bookcase Foodie
- Bambi @ Adobo Down Under
Links to more Weight Watchers Friendly Kale Recipes
- How to Cook Kale - A basic 0 Points value recipe
- A Collection of Kale Recipes - from my files and around the Webs, many with Points values
- Raw Dinosaur Kale Salad - colorful and tasty with *1 WW PointsPlus, *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints
- Lentils with Sausage & Kale - an easy one-dish dinner with *7 WW PointsPlus, *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!