Weight Watchers SmartPoints Recipe of the Day: Pasta with Italian Chicken Sausage & Kale
(356 calories | *8 WW SmartPoints)
I came across this recipe for Weight Watchers Pasta with Italian Chicken Sausage and Kale while searching for a kale recipe to make for this week’s 38 Power Foods Blogging Group.
For the past eight weeks, a group of bloggers, led by Mireya of My Healthy Eating Habits, has been posting recipes using the healthy ingredients from Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine.
We’re now up to ingredient #9 in the vegetables chapter: kale, a real nutritional powerhouse, rich in vitamins A, B6 & C, fiber, iron, calcium, and carotenoids.
I was introduced to kale several years ago while attending The Institute for Integrative Nutrition and have been a fan ever since.
Skinny on Weight Watchers Pasta with Italian Chicken Sausage and Kale
As soon as I read all the great reviews on weightwatchers.com for this simple pasta with Italian chicken sausage and kale, I knew I wanted to try it.
The recipe suggests you use rigatoni, but any short cut pasta (such as penne or ziti) would work. I think this dish would be tasty with whole wheat pasta too, which I plan to try next time.
Also, I bumped up the amount of kale from 4 cups to six with good results. Who knew such a simple recipe with just 5 ingredients could be so satisfying?
According to my calculations, each serving has 356 calories, *8 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *8 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Sausage Pasta with Kale Recipe Variations
spicier – add crushed red pepper flakes in with the sausage
no kale – substitute your favorite leafy green such as spinach, swiss chard, etc.
vegetarian – substitute drained canned white beans for the sausage, be sure to bump up the flavor with more seasonings such as garlic, oregano, etc.
more veggies – chopped tomatoes would be nice. Add them once the kale has begun to wilt
If you’ve made this Sausage & Kale Pasta, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Weight Watchers Pasta with Italian Chicken Sausage and Kale
- 2 cups short-cut pasta such as penne or rigatoni
- 8 ounces chicken or turkey sweet Italian sausage
- 6 cups kale with tough stems and ribs removed, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, remove sausage from casing and cook in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, breaking up sausage as it cooks, about 3 minutes. Add kale; cook, stirring frequently, until limp, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add broth to skillet and scrape up browned bits on bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon; season with salt and pepper.
- Cover skillet and reduce heat to low; cook until kale is tender, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and heat through. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Sprinkle each serving with about 2 tablespoons of cheese before serving.
Source: Weight Watchers
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
For more great delicious kale recipes, check out the blogs of these talented food-blogging ladies who are participating in the Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients group today:
- Alyce @ More Time at the Table
- Ansh @ Spice Roots
- Jeanette @ Jeanette's Healthy Living
- Jill @ Saucy Cooks
- Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
- Sarah @ Everything in the Kitchen Sink
- Casey @ Bookcase Foodie
- Bambi @ Adobo Down Under
Links to more Weight Watchers Friendly Kale Recipes
- How to Cook Kale – A basic 0 Points value recipe
- A Collection of Kale Recipes – from my files and around the Webs, many with Points values
- Raw Dinosaur Kale Salad – colorful and tasty with *1 WW PointsPlus, *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints
- Lentils with Sausage & Kale – an easy one-dish dinner with *7 WW PointsPlus, *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!