I’m a big soup lover and am always adding to my collection of easy healthy soup recipes.
Soups are a delicious, healthy way to satisfy your hunger with minimal fat and calories. And pumpkin soup recipes made from either fresh or canned pumpkin are a great example. Pumpkin is full of vitamins, minerals and fiber. (Of course, you realize, I’m not talking about fattening cream based soups and chowders here!)
Did you know that people who start a meal with soup tend to weigh less?
So, if you’re trying to lose weight or stay slim, choose soup as a healthy first course, snack, lunch or dinner as often as you can. Why not make a large batch of one of these easy healthy low-calorie pumpkin soup recipes and then freeze it in single servings that you can heat up later when you need something in a hurry?
The first recipe is a great quick and easy healthy low calorie pumpkin soup from The First Hungry Girl Cookbook, Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies for Guilt-Free Eating in the Real World. I’ve also assembled a great collection of low calorie pumpkin soups in a variety of styles from around the Web.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups fat-free broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- ¾ cup salsa
- Optional toppings such as shredded reduced-fat or fat-free cheese, and reduced-fat or fat free sour cream
- Spray a soup pot set over medium heat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the garlic, chili powder and cumin, and stir until the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broth to the pot and bring it to a simmer.
- Add the pumpkin and stir until it is well blended.
- Add the black beans, corn and salsa and bring mixture to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Top with a sprinkle of cheese and a little fat free sour cream on top, if desired
More Healthy Pumpkin Low Calorie Soup Recipes from Around the Web
2. Creamy Pumpkin Soup – A not too sweet, creamy and rich soup combining the flavors of pumpkin and apple with just 122 calories, 3 fat and 3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per serving. From Cooking Light found at MyRecipes.
3. Thai Style Pumpkin Soup – A wonderful combination of flavors combine in this Thai inspired soup with 142 calories, 4 g fat and 4 Weight Watchers Points+ from Cooking Light found at MyRecipes.
5. Creamy Roasted Apple & Pumpkin Soup – Another creamy soup of roasted apples and pumpkins with 134 calories, 2 g fat and 3 Weight Watchers Points Plus found at Laaloosh.
6. Pumpkin Sweet Potato Bisque - An easy and delicious low calorie bisque, this fabulous Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup is a great idea for any meal and has 188 calories, 1 g fat and 3 Weight Watchers Points Plus Values. Found at Laaloosh.
7. Moroccan Pumpkin Soup - This is a French–influenced variation of a popular seasonal pumpkin soup with 91 calories, 2.3 g fat and 2 WW Points Plus Values in a 2/3 cup serving. From Cooking Light found at MyRecipes.
8. Low-Fat Cream of Pumpkin Soup - with coconut milk, cumin and curry. Just 112 calories, 2.7 g fat and 3 WW Points Plus Values found at Wellness Tree Holistic Nutrition.
And Here’s a great video of how to make pumpkin soup with canned pumpkin…
And a fun video demonstrating how to make fresh pumpkin soup in a Vita-Mix Blender
in just 5 minutes…
Do you have a favorite healthy pumpkin soup recipe to share?