WW Recipe of the Day: Baked Wonton-Wrapped Cheese Sticks
(120 calories | 3 3 3 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
When I came across this recipe I immediately recalled childhood memories of the deep fried gooey mozzarella sticks we use to order at our favorite local Italian restaurant. What a treat they were.
These days I avoid the excess fat and calories of most deep fried foods. But I decided a baked version was definitely worth a try.
Warm oozing cheese and marinara sauce is a hard combination to beat. Even if some cheese escapes, don’t worry. They may not be the prettiest, but they’re still delicious. This one is sure to please kids of any age.
Bake a few for the family or more for a crowd. You can easily adapt this recipe to meet your needs.
How Many Calories and WW Points in these Baked Wonton Cheese Sticks?
According to my calculations, each serving has 120 calories and:
3 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
3 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
How to Make Wonton-Wrapped Cheese Sticks
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients.
Step 2: Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Spray a sheet pan with non-stick spray.
Step 3: Add egg white, water, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder to a small bowl . Whisk with a fork until well combined.
Step 4: Brush the egg white mixture along the edges of one wonton wrapper. Place the half of cheese stick in the middle of the wrapper on a diagonal. Fold in the sides and then bring up the bottom. Continue to roll like a burrito, making sure there are no spaces for the cheese to escape. Place seam side down on sheet pan.
Step 5: Repeat for remaining cheese sticks.
Step 6: Brush the egg white mixture over the top of the wrapped sticks.
Step 7: Cook for 3-4 minutes and then turn. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
Step 8: Remove from oven and serve with marinara dipping sauce.
Low-fat mozzarella cheese sticks are everywhere, but wonton wrappers may be a little bit more challenging to find. They are typically in the produce or refrigerated area of the grocery store. Usually they are located with the tofu.
- Wrap the wonton tight and try to tuck in all the corners. If there is open space the warm cheese may ooze out. But don’t worry if some cheese escapes, they still taste great!
- If you want to make them bite size for a party, cut the cheese stick into thirds. This will also give you more wrapper to work with, so no cheese should escape.
- If you don’t have an egg white, just use water.
- No Italian seasoning? Just use oregano, parsley, basil or whatever you have on hand.
- Try it with Monterey Jack cheese sticks, cilantro seasoning, and your favorite salsa for dipping.
Mozzarella Cheese Sticks Serving Suggestions
- Serve with your favorite salad, or this Italian Arugula Salad for a satisfying lunch.
- Pair with a cup of Italian soup like Italian Wedding Soup
Ways to Use Leftover Cheese Sticks
Makes a nutritious after school snack that comes together in minutes.
If you’ve made these Wonton-Wrapped Baked Mozzarella Cheese Sticks, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Baked Wonton-Wrapped Cheese Sticks
- 4 part-skim mozzarella string cheese sticks, cut in half
- 8 wonton wrappers
- 1 tablespoon egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- Mrinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Spray a sheet pan with non-stick spray.
- Add egg white, water, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder to a small bowl. Whisk with a fork until well combined.
- Brush the egg white mixture along the edges of one wonton wrapper. Place the half of cheese stick in the middle of the wrapper on a diagonal. Fold in the sides and then bring up the bottom. Continue to roll like a burrito, making sure there are no spaces for the cheese to escape. Place seam side down on sheet pan.
- Repeat for remaining cheese sticks.
- Brush the egg white mixture over the top of the wrapped sticks.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes and then turn. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with marinara dipping sauce.
Recipe source: Adapted from Joyful Healthy Eats
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Mozzarella Cheese Recipes for Weight Watchers
- Oven-Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- Tomato Soup Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan Melts
- Easy Pizza Pasta Pie
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!