Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Chicken Picadillo
If you’re not familiar with Picadillo here’s a little history. It’s a traditional meat dish in most Latin American countries as well as Spain, but the ingredients do vary from region to region. Most often it is made with ground beef, chopped tomatoes and various regional ingredients. You’ll usually find it served with rice, tortillas, as a filling for tacos, empanadas and fritters, and in croquettes.
This ground chicken (or turkey) version is an easy to prepare Weight Watchers-friendly recipe that takes only 30 minutes from start to finish.
The Skinny on Chicken Picadillo
Each generous 1-cup serving of Chicken Picadillo has about 278 calories and 7 Weight Watchers Points Plus. If you prefer, you can substitute skinless ground turkey breast for the chicken. Yippee- this skinny chicken Picadillo has gone down to 5 SmartPoints!! Enjoy!
Weight Watchers Chicken Picadillo Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound ground skinless chicken breast
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground chicken and cook, stirring and breaking up the clumps, until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, raisins, olives, cumin, salt and pepper, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the almonds just before serving.
* PointsPlus® for Chicken Picadillo calculated by Simple Nourished Living: Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Tools I used to make this recipe:
Looking for more quick and easy Weight Watchers Recipes?
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!