WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Root Vegetables Sausage Stew
(259 calories | 6 6 4 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
We enjoyed this slow cooker root vegetables sausage stew for dinner Friday night, with Mac and my brother, Peter.
Served with crusty French bread, it made a hearty, satisfying meal, perfect for this time of year.
All four of us agreed that it was tasty and worthy of making again, especially during the fall and winter, when we crave chill-chasing comfort food.
Be sure to include the parsnip when you make this slow cooker root vegetables sausage stew. It has a mellow sweet flavor that works well with the potato, sweet potato, carrots and sausage.
You can make this ahead too. Just put everything except the parsley in the ceramic crock of your slow cooker, cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
Then, when you are ready, pop the insert into your slow cooker, turn it on and continue cooking as directed.
I definitely plan on making this again.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Stew?
According to my calculations, each 1-⅓ cups serving has 259 calories and:
6 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
6 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you've made this Vegetable Stew with Sausage, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Root Vegetables Sausage Stew
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced (I used Aidell's Chicken & Turkey)
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) Italian style stewed tomatoes, with juices
- 1-½ cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- I used my 4-Quart slow cooker.
- In your slow cooker, combine the potato, sweet potato, carrots, parsnip, onion, sausages, tomatoes (with their juices), broth, sugar, thyme and pepper.
- Stir well to mix.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, or until the vegetables are tender and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Stir in the parsley during the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Source: 300 Slow Cooker Favorites by Donna-Marie Pie
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this slow cooked root vegetables sausage stew you might also like:
- Spanish Rice Bean Sausage One Dish Dinner
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Sausage
- Slow Cooker Lentil Chicken Sausage Stew
Here's what I used to make this easy and delicious root vegetables sausage stew!
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!