Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Root Vegetables Sausage Stew – 6 SmartPoints
We enjoyed this slow cooker root vegetables sausage stew for dinner Friday night, with Mac and my brother, Peter.
Served with crusty French bread, it made a hearty, satisfying meal, perfect for this time of year.
All four of us agreed that it was tasty and worthy of making again, especially during the fall and winter, when we crave chill-chasing comfort food.
Be sure to include the parsnip when you make this slow cooker root vegetables sausage stew. It has a mellow sweet flavor that works well with the potato, sweet potato, carrots and sausage.
You can make this ahead too. Just put everything except the parsley in the ceramic crock of your slow cooker, cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours. Then, when you are ready, pop the insert into your slow cooker, turn it on and continue cooking as directed.
I definitely plan on making this again.
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced (I used Aidell's Chicken & Turkey)
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) Italian style stewed tomatoes, with juices
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- I used my 4-Quart slow cooker.
- In your slow cooker, combine the potato, sweet potato, carrots, parsnip, onion, sausages, tomatoes (with their juices), broth, sugar, thyme and pepper.
- Stir well to mix.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, or until the vegetables are tender and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Stir in the parsley during the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cooking Notes: This slow cooker root vegetables sausage stew can be assembled up to 12 hours ahead. Just put everything except parsley in the crock and refrigerate. Then just pop the insert into your slow cooker, turn it on and continue cooking as directed.
Source: 300 Slow Cooker Favorites
If you liked this slow cooker root vegetables sausage stew you might also like:
*PointsPlus® and *SmartPoints® for slow cooker root vegetables sausage stew calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Here’s what I used to make this easy and delicious root vegetables sausage stew!
Roberta hit rock bottom at 48 years old. She weighed 171 lbs. at 5'1". She suffered from back pain, thyroid problems and adrenal issues. Yet as you can see it’s all behind her now. And she feels and looks like a woman half her age!... Following Eat Stop Eat gave Roberta the freedom she needed. It allowed her body to naturally find its own weight loss rhythm. And the results are stunning!
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.