I made this easy Spanish rice beans sausage dish recently for dinner. I was looking for a quick and easy one pot meal I could make in minutes using ingredients I had on hand. That’s not too much to ask, is it?
One secret for getting dinner on the table in minutes is having already cooked ingredients ready to go in the refrigerator: Rotisserie chicken. Grilled or roasted vegetables. Cooked rice. Fully cooked sausage links.
It’s one of the strategies they teach at Weight Watchers: Be prepared. If you’ve got healthy choices ready and waiting at home, it’s easier to avoid the drive-through.
Tonight I had about 3 cups of brown rice that needed to be used. And a can of kidney beans I opened by mistake earlier in the week thinking it was black beans. I also had couple links of fully cooked chicken sausage.
Skinny on One Pot Spanish Rice Beans Sausage
I sliced the chicken into thin rounds and tossed them into a large saucepan with the rice and rinsed and drained beans. Then I scrounged around the pantry and added a can of diced tomatoes (fennel and pepper flavored), a can of corn (rinsed and drained), and a few spices (chili powder, cumin and garlic powder). I stirred everything together and let it heat through, about 5 minutes.
To dress it up a bit, I topped each serving with a little jarred salsa and dollop of light sour cream. It worked. It was surprisingly tasty. Even Rod gave his approval and went back for seconds.
This easy Spanish rice beans sausage one pot meal is definitely something I’ll make again when I want dinner in a hurry with minimal effort. According to my calculations each serving has 352 calories and *9 Weight Watchers Points Plus
Easy Spanish Rice Beans Sausage One Pot Meal
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can 14-1/2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can 14-1/2 ounces kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can 14-1/2 ounces corn, drained
- 2 links of cooked chicken sausage sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Jarred salsa for serving (optional)
- Low Fat sour cream for serving (optional)
- Place the rice, tomatoes, beans, corn, sausage, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and black pepper in a large saucepan. Stir to combine. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Top with salsa and/or sour cream if desired.
Source: This Spanish Rice Beans Sausage recipe is adapted from The Weeknight Survival Cookbook: How to Make Healthy Meals in 10 Minutes
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked this recipe for easy Spanish rice beans sausage one pot meal, you might also like:
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!