This satisfyingly light and tasty soup hits the spot after weeks of over-indulging.
If you've never cooked fennel before, you're in for a treat. It has a subtly sweet anise flavor and a crunch much like celery. Cooked fennel, as with this soup, will lose its crunch but retain its flavor.
We've included a video below with tips for buying, storing, preparing and working with fennel.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Low-Fat Slow Cooker Soup?
According to my calculations, each serving has 160 calories and:
2 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
How to Make White Bean Fennel Soup
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients.
Step 2: In a skillet over medium heat, warm the oil and sauce the onions and fennel until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. (I used my Ninja 3-in-1 Cooking System (affiliate link) so I was able to sauté the onion and fennel in the same pot as cooking the soup.)
Step 3: Add the onion and fennel mixture, broth, beans, diced tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper, and bay leaf to slow cooker.
Cover and cook for 1 to 2 hours on HIGH, or 4 to 5 hours on LOW.
Step 4: Remove bay leaf and stir in spinach about 10 minutes before serving.
Step 5: Store unused portions in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Fennel 101 Video: How to Buy, Store, Prepare and Work with Fennel
Turn this soup vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth (affiliate link) for the chicken broth.
Add some leftover cooked lean chicken breast or ham for a little protein boost.
Enjoy soup with warm crusty bread and a tossed green salad.
Are You Ready To Firmly Plant Yourself
On The Path To Lasting Weight Loss Success?
If you've made this Low-Fat Crock Pot Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Fennel White Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium fennel bulb, sliced thin (white part only)
- 5 cups fat-free chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-½ ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- Ideal slow cooker size: 5- to 6-Quart.
- In a skillet over medium heat, warm the oil and saute the onions and fennel until softened. (I used my Ninja 3-in-1 Cooking System so I was able to sauté the onion and fennel in the same pot as cooking the soup.)
- Add onion fennel mixture, broth, beans, diced tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper, and bay leaf to slow cooker. Cover and cook for 1 to 2 hours on HIGH, or 4 to 5 hours on LOW.
- Remove bay leaf and stir in spinach about 10 minutes before serving.
- Store unused portions in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Recipe source: Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly: Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker (affiliate link) by Phyllis Pellman Good
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this vegetarian crock pot soup, you might also like
- Butternut Squash, Kale and White Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Bean Soup
- Slow Cooked Veggie Minestrone
- Easy 5-Ingredient Asparagus Minestrone
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Leave a Reply