Just 5 everyday ingredients are all you need to pull together this delicious dessert. And with less than 150 calories, each Rocky Road Chocolate Pudding Parfait is a guilt-free treat perfect for Weight Watchers.
These simple, no-cook naturally gluten-free pudding cups can be modified in lots of ways to suit your tastes and needs. Mixing up in minutes, the hardest part is waiting for them to chill and set in the refrigerator.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Easy Chocolate Pudding?
According to my calculations, each serving has 147 calories.
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
How to Make Instant Pudding Parfaits, Step by Step
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients.
Step 2: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the instant pudding and milk until thoroughly combined and all dry pudding mix has been absorbed, 4 to 5 minutes.
Step 3: Add ¾ cup whisked pudding mixture into separate mixing bowl. Gently stir in whipped topping until completely incorporated.
Step 4: Divide plain chocolate pudding mixture evenly (from first bowl) into 4 dessert glasses or ramekins. Top with pudding TruWhip mixture, divided evenly. (Try assembling one first, and if your top Truwhip layer sinks down into the chocolate layer, you can refrigerate the glasses with just the first layer of chocolate pudding for at least 15 minutes, before adding the second layer.) Either way they taste great!
Step 5: Refrigerate filled dessert glasses until set, at least 45 minutes.
Step 6: When ready to serve, remove from refrigerator and top with mini marshmallows and chopped nuts, divided evenly.
Step 7: Store any leftover pudding in the refrigerator.
Substitute regular Jell-O Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix for the sugar-free mix.
If you are not a fan of non-dairy milk, use regular fat-free milk in place of the almond milk. You can increase the amount of dairy milk to 2 cups.
If you want a more definition between the chocolate pudding layer and chocolate pudding whipped topping layer, refrigerate for at least 15 minutes after spooning the chocolate pudding mixture into the glasses and before adding the pudding/whipped topping layer. This will help the first layer set-up. The first time I made these, the top layer with the whipped topping sunk into the pudding layer. It was still delicious though!
Make this ahead and keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Add toppings just before serving.
IS Jell-O Instant Pudding Dairy Free?
Yes, Jello Instant Pudding is Dairy Free. However, it is best to check the packages regularly to make sure nothing changes.
Can You Make Jell-O Instant Pudding with Almond Milk or Other Plant Based Milks? Will it Set?
According to Kraft, the maker of Jell-O pudding:
The following instructions are intended only for use with JELL-O Instant Puddings. These instructions are NOT for use with JELL-O Cook & Serve pudding. When making instant pudding with almond milk and other plant-based milks, take note of the following tips:
- Puddings made with almond milk or other plant-based milks will have a different set, mouthfeel and flavor compared to pudding prepared with dairy milk.
- The set will be soft to very soft and more of a spoonable texture—it will not have the same texture as JELL-O Pudding made with milk.
- Based on our culinary experts’ test results, we recommend soy, almond and coconut milk as a milk replacement. Most other plant-based milks do not allow the pudding to set.
- Use 1-½ cups of either soy, almond or coconut milk in place of 2 cups of dairy milk in instant pudding.
- If using in a dessert recipe, it is only suitable for desserts that are spoonable such as trifles, parfaits and other desserts with a similar texture.
- Plant-based milks will NOT work in desserts where a firm texture is needed such as pudding pies, eclair cakes or striped delight (square layered desserts). We do not recommend using plant-based milks for these types of desserts.
There are more options for using plant based milk with the kind of pudding you cook on the stovetop. You'll find a great chart here explaining the amount of various plant based milks you should use and the resulting texture.
Substitute the chopped peanuts with your favorite nuts (I like this dessert a combination of peanuts and almonds). Chopped walnuts, cashews, pecans, macadamia nuts or pistachios would also be good.
Skip the nuts and marshmallow and top with your favorite fresh berries: blackberries, blueberries, raspberries or sliced strawberries—but then you wouldn't be able to call this delicious dessert Rocky Road!
Make it double chocolate by sprinkling a few mini chocolate chips over the top, along with the marshmallows and nuts.
Ways to Use Leftovers
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator. Add a leftover pudding parfait (along with the nuts and marshmallows) to a blender with almond milk, banana and some plain Greek yogurt for a refreshing Rocky Road smoothie.
If you've made this Rocky Road Chocolate Pudding Dessert, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Rocky Road Pudding Parfaits
- 1 package (1.4 ounces) Sugar-Free Jello Chocolate Flavor Instant Pudding
- 1-½ cups unsweetened almond milk beverage
- ¾ cup thawed whipped topping (such as cool whip or tru whip)
- 12 mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons dry roasted peanuts, chopped (I used chopped almonds)
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the instant pudding and milk until thoroughly combined and all dry pudding mix has been absorbed, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add ¾ cup whisked pudding mixture into separate mixing bowl. Gently stir in TruWhip until completely incorporated.
- Divide chocolate pudding mixture evenly (from first bowl) into 4 dessert glasses or ramekins. Top with pudding TruWhip mixture, divided evenly.
- Refrigerate filled dessert glasses until set, at least 45 minutes.
- When ready to serve, remove from refrigerator and top with mini marshmallows and chopped nuts, divided evenly.
Recipe source: Kraft
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Chocolate Pudding No-Bake Dessert, you might also like
- VitaTops Trifle for Two
- Spoonable No-Bake Cheesecake Dessert
- Dairy-Free Cappuccino Chia Pudding
- Quick and Easy Pineapple Jello Fluff
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!