WW Recipe of the Day: Wheaties Cherry Blink Cookies
Here's a fun old-fashioned cookie that bakes up soft and chewy with a bit of crispy crunch from Wheaties cereal crumbs. They're the perfect addition to your holiday cookie platter.
And with a reasonable 3 SmartPoints per cookie, they're the kind of sweet indulgence you can easily fit into the WW program.
I ran across the recipe for these Wheaties Cherry Blinks while thumbing through Betty Crocker Cooky Book , a facsimile of the version originally published back in 1963, and knew I wanted to give the recipe I try. As luck would have it, I had just enough Wheaties left in the box and all the other ingredients called for to bake up a batch.
How Many Calories and WW Points in these Old-Fashioned Cookies?
Described as, "Rich, Wheaties coated cherry-topped cookies that are just the thing for parties." I found them soft, chewy and not-too-sweet with nice little crunch from the Wheaties crumbs. While they may have been "rich" by 1963 standards, they're really anything but, with only ⅓ cup fat and ½ cup sugar in the entire batch!
According to my calculations, each cookie has 64 calories and:
3 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
2 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made these Wheaties Cherry Blink Cookies, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Wheaties Cherry Blinks
- ⅓ cup shortening (I used ½ butter and ½ shortening)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-½ tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup raisins or cut-up dates (I used raisins)
- ½ cup nuts, chopped (I used walnuts)
- 1-½ cups Wheaties (crushed to fine crumbs)
- Candied or maraschino cherries, cut into halves or quarters (I used maraschino)
- Position an oven rack in the center of they oven and preheat the oven to 375 F degrees. Lightly grease 2 to 3 cookie sheets or for easy cleanup, line them with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the shortening, butter, sugar and egg with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Stir in the milk and vanilla until well blended.
- Fluff up your flour with a fork or whisk and then dip a 1 cup measuring cup into the flour and level off with the straight edge of a butter knife or spatula. (Do not tap the cup or pack more flour into the cup before leveling it off.) Pour the flour into a medium bowl. Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt to the flour and whisk to blend well.
- Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture just until blended and then stir in the raisins and nuts until they are mixed into the cookie dough.
- Place the crushed Wheaties in a shallow dish. Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls into the crushed Wheaties. Roll around gently until the balls of dough are completely coated with the Wheaties. Place on the prepared cookie sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- Top each cookie with a cherry half or quarter, pressing down slightly.
- Bake, one cookie sheet at a time in the center of the oven, until no imprint remains when the cookies are touched lightly, 10 to 12 minutes. (Mine were done in about 11 minutes.)
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a minute or two and then transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Continue until all the cookies are baked.
Source: Betty Crocker Cooky Book
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Cookie Recipes
- Wheaties Coconut Cookies
- Weight Watchers Crackle Spice Drop Cookies
- Skinny Cranberry Apple Oatmeal Cookies
- Low Fat Soft and Chewy Banana Date Coconut Cookies
- Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies (Weight Watchers)
- Big Soft Almost Fat Free Chocolate Cookies (Tidy Mom)
- Weight Watchers Sugar Cookies (Recipe Girl)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!