WW Recipe of the Day: Low-Carb Sheet Pan Fennel, Peppers & Sausage
(161 calories | 5 5 5 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
This delicious low carb sheet pan dinner features sausage, peppers and fennel.
Have you ever tried fennel? I often admired it on the shelf, but never really knew what to do with it. Plus I'm not a fan of most things licorice flavored, so I would just walk on by.
Then one day I was feeling brave, so I ordered a salad that had it listed as an ingredient. It wasn't at all like I had expected. Crunchy and sweet with just a mild hint of licorice, it was delicious.
What is the Best Way to Eat Fennel?
Now I buy it all the time. It's so versatile. You can use it raw in salads or to add a little interest to your next veggie plater. When roasted, it caramelizes and gets even sweeter.
Fennel is high in fiber, potassium, and vitamin C. One cup of chopped raw fennel provides about the same amount of potassium as a banana.
It is typically a winter vegetable, but you can find in the vegetable aisle of most grocers year around. Look for a bulb that is firm with no bruising. Whole fennel should keep up to a week in the refrigerator.
Prior to using wash, trim, and core the fennel bulb. Don't toss away the fronds. They make a tasty and colorful garnish.
These days I'm always looking for new ways to incorporate more fennel into my cooking. This recipe puts a new twist on the old sausage, peppers, and onion staple.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Easy Sheet Pan Meal?
According to my calculations, each serving has 161 calories and:
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
How to Make Sheet Pan Sausage, Peppers & Fennel
This recipe couldn't be easier. You just add sliced fennel, peppers and sausage to a large mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and seasonings and toss everything around. Then spread out onto a prepared sheet pan and roast for 20 to 30 minutes, until your vegetables are cooked to your desired level of tenderness. How easy is that?
Here are a few more ideas and considerations:
- Use any color bell pepper your prefer or a mixture of colors.
- Any brand of pre-cooked chicken sausage will work.
- Add mushrooms, onions and/or cherry tomatoes.
- I like Penzy's roasted garlic powder.
- If you want to make this more substantial add 1 to 2 cups cubed potatoes.
- Serve it over a bowl of fresh arugula.
- Top your favorite whole wheat pasta.
- Keep it low carb and pair with zucchini zoodles, cauliflower rice or spaghetti squash.
Ways to Use Leftover Sausage, Peppers & Fennel
- I love to just warm up the leftovers an eat them for lunch the next day.
- Chop it up and use it as an omelet filling for breakfast.
- Add eggs and cheese to turn it into a frittata.
- Stuff it in a pita for a flavorful pocket sandwich.
- Use it as a topping on a personalized tortilla pizza.
- Mix it with beans and rice for a power bowl.
- Toss it with lettuce and low-calorie Italian dressing for a tasty salad.
- Combine it with chicken stock, cannellini beans, diced tomatoes, and spinach for an Italian style soup.
If you've made this Oven Roasted Sausage Dinner, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Low Carb Sheet Pan Fennel, Peppers and Sausage
- 1 fennel bulb (about 1 pound), sliced
- 2 medium bell peppers, sliced (I used orange)
- 1 pound pre-cooked chicken sausage, sliced (any variety will work)
- 2 tablespoons fennel fronds, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Spray sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add sliced fennel, peppers and sausage to a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, vinegar, mustard, and red pepper flakes if using. Toss to coat.
- Spread the mixture over the sheet pan.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables reach desired doneness.
- Remove pan from oven and garnish with the fennel fronds.
Recipe source: Adapted from WW Magazine, Winter 2009 article by Grace Young
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this simple Sheet Pan Meal, you might also like:
- Sheet Pan Oven-Roasted Shrimp with Broccoli
- 17 WW Friendly Sheet Pan Meals
- Sheet Pan Italian Sausage Dinner for 2
- Skinny Sheet Pan Tofu Vegetable Stir-Fry
- Sheet Pan Sausage, Onions, Peppers & Potatoes
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!