I received the following question about IBS and weight loss a while ago…
Q: I have IBS and am presently on no fruits, vegetables, dairy, alcohol, chocolate and am filling in with lots of carbs. Have to lose 30 lbs. and don’t know where to start. Everything is so boring, any suggestions?
A: I realized that while I’ve learned a lot about weight loss and Weight Watchers through the years, I knew very little about irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and how best to eat and/or lose weight when you’ve got it.
So, I did what many of us do when seeking answers; I headed to the internet to learn more about weight watchers, weight loss and IBS.
Weight Watchers IBS Success Story
The first page I visited was a Weight Watchers Success Story featuring Jennifer, a woman with IBS who had Weight Watchers recommended by her doctor.
After a lifetime of bad eating habits, with the support of Weight Watchers, she gradually increased her fiber intake by incorporating more fruits and vegetables, especially leafy greens.
Her IBS improved within a month, but the real shocker was that she also lost 29 pounds.
Jennifer’s favorite tips include:
“Smart Ones (WW frozen meals) are a life-saver. My favorites are Honey Dijon Chicken and Smart Pockets. I heat the Pockets ahead of time and pop them in my purse for a meal on the run.”
“Eat a healthy snack bar after lunch. It can be a real sweet-tooth satisfier, depending on the flavor or brand.”
“Get creative with side dishes. One of my favorites is spaghetti squash with cinnamon and Equal.”
“I have contests with my co-worker to challenge us to drink our daily water.”
Read Jennifer’s Full Story: A Sweet Surprise Success Story (Weight Watchers)
I also found a few helpful videos that discuss some dietary suggestions for people with IBS who want to lose weight…
Video#1: Healthy Foods for Weight Loss & IBS
Video#2: Healthy Foods for Weight Loss & IBS
- White Fish
- Quaker Crispy Minis
- Mary’s Organic Crackers
- Frozen Green Beans
- Cheddar Goat Cheese
- Frozen Strawberries, Cherries and Raspberries
- Ezekiel Sprouted Grain English Muffins
- Coconut Oil
- Fresh Bean Sprouts
- Bok Choy
- Organic Baby Spinach
- Terra Vegetable Chips
- Crispy Minis
- Ground Turkey
- Bell Peppers
- Goat Cheese Mozzarella
- Chili Powder
- Dijon Mustard
- Peanut Butter
- Goldfish Grahams
- Goldfish Crackers
- NonDairy Milk
Video #3 Diet Tips for IBS
- Eat regular meals and chew your food really well.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Cut back or eliminate caffeine, alcohol and carbonated beverages.
- Cut back or eliminate resistant starches which are found in foods such as cold pasta, potato chips, reheated pizza.
- Add probiotics.
- Find ways to manage stress: exercise, etc.
Natural Food Remedies to Banish Bloating
According to an article in the November 2018 Woman’s Day Magazine:
- Peppermint Essential Oil : You might think of it as a fresh-breath herb, but peppermint can also help combat an inflated belly. In one study of more than 70 IBS patients, those given a peppermint essential oil supplement for four weeks reported less bloating and distension than those who took a placebo pill.
- Kefir: This tart drink contains probiotics, beneficial bacteria that aid in digestion. It is also a good source of vitamin D. A recent study showed that people who had IBS were often deficient in the vitamin and that they experienced relief when they took a D supplement.
- Skinless Chicken Breast: Lean poultry like this is virtually pure protein – without carbs, which can cause water retention. Replace starchy carbs like bread with chicken breast for a less bloated belly.
- Zucchini: Loaded with water and naturally low in sodium, zucchini fills you up without making you feel bloated. What’s more, a cup of zucchini contains nearly 300 mg of potassium, which causes the body to release excess water. As a result it can help you feel less puffy.
Are you a Weight Watcher with IBS? Any helpful tips to share?
More Weight Loss Success Articles:
- Weight Loss Success Story: For Juliann Lasting Success Began at 60!
- Food & Fitness Trump Prescription Drugs!
- Read How Cory Hula Hooped Herself Slim!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!