WW Recipe of the Day: Giant Low-Fat Spice Cake Mix Cookies
(215 calories | 9 9 9 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I love these giant low-fat spice cookies. They're big, spicy, sweet and chewy. And, they're super easy to make because they begin with a box of cake mix.
All you do is stir together a box of spice cake mix with water, molasses, baking soda, ginger and vanilla. Then let the dough chill, roll it into balls and bake.
You don't even have to crack an egg to make these giant low fat spice cake mix cookies. Which makes them vegan-friendly, come to think of it!
They are so easy and delicious, I just had to include them in my Favorite Easy Cake Mix Cookies eCookbook.
Skinny on Giant Low Fat Spice Cake Mix Cookies
According to my calculations, each of these giant low-fat dairy-free spice cake mix cookies has 215 calories and:
9 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Which is not terrible for a giant cookie.
Especially when compared with the Giant Ginger Molasses Cookie at Starbucks, which has 360 calories, 12g fat, 58g carbs, 3g protein and *10 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *16 WW Freestyle SmartPoints—my giant spice cake mix cookies look downright skinny.
9/23/13 Update: I've received some emails and comments that this cookie has too many *Points, which is a valid concern. And a real world issue that we face all the time because portions are so big.
Here are some things you can do to lower the points of these cookies and make them work for you, if you want to. I think of them as Weight Watcher Survival Strategies.
How to Enjoy Your Low-Fat Spice Cake Mix Cookies and Stay Slim Too!
- Eat half (*3 PointsPlus | *5 SmartPoints) and share the other half with someone or wrap it up for another day.
- Make smaller cookies. Since this is a recipe, you could make 30 small cookies (*2 PointsPlus | *3 Freestyle SmartPoints) or 60 mini cookies (*1 PointsPlus | *2 Freestyle SmartPoints).
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
You'll just need to adjust the baking times. I would begin checking the small cookies after 8 minutes and mini cookies after 6 minutes, and bake until done.
Hope this helps. Enjoy!
If you like these spice cookies, be sure to check out my other WW Friendly dessert recipes, including: Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate No-Bake Cookies, Salted Peanut Chocolate Chip Cookies, Kahlua White Chocolate Chunk Brownie Mix Cookies, S'mores Cookies and Orangesicle Cake Mix Cookies
If you've made these low-fat, dairy-free Spice Cake Mix Cookies, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Giant Low-Fat Spice Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
- 1 package (15 to 18 ounces) spice cake mix
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry cake mix, ginger and baking soda until well blended.
- Stir in the water, molasses and vanilla and mix well.
- Cover and place the dough in the refrigerator to chill so it will be easier to roll into balls, about 1 hour.
- When you are ready to bake, position an oven rack in the center of your oven and preheat oven to 375F degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal-size portions and roll into balls.
- Place the balls of cookie dough spaced 3 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Flatten slightly with a glass coated with cooking spray.
- Bake until the surface of the cookies crack and they are firm, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute and then transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining cookie dough, being sure that cookie sheets are cool before using them again.
If you enjoy this recipe for giant low fat spice cake mix cookies, check out my Favorite Easy Cake Mix Cookies eCookbook at Amazon:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!