I love these giant low fat spice cake mix cookies. They’re big, spicy, sweet and chewy. And, they’re super easy to make because they begin with a box of cake mix.
All you do is stir together a box of spice cake mix with water, molasses, baking soda, ginger and vanilla. Then let the dough chill, roll it into balls and bake. You don’t even have to crack an egg to make these giant low fat spice cake mix cookies. Which makes them vegan-friendly, come to think of it!
They are so easy and delicious, I just had to include them in my Favorite Easy Cake Mix Cookies eCookbook.
Skinny on Giant Low Fat Spice Cake Mix Cookies
According to my calculations, each of these giant low fat spice cake mix cookies has 215 calories and *6 Points Plus, not terrible for a giant cookie. (Compared with the Giant Ginger Molasses Cookie at Starbucks, which has 360 calories, 12 g fat, 58 g carbs, 3 g protein and *10 Points Plus, my giant spice cake mix cookies look downright skinny.)
9/23/13 Update: I’ve received some emails and comments that this cookie has too many *PointsPlus, which is a valid concern. And a real world issue that we face all the time because portions are so big. Here are some things you can do to lower the points of these cookies and make them work for you, if you want to. I think of them as Weight Watcher Survival Strategies.
How to Enjoy Your Low Fat Spice Cake Mix Cookies and Stay Slim Too!
1. Eat half (3 Points Plus) and share the other half with someone or wrap it up for another day.
2. Make smaller cookies. Since this is a recipe, you could make 30 small cookies (*2 Points Plus) or 60 mini cookies (*1 Points Plus). You’ll just need to adjust the baking times. I would begin checking the small low fat spice cake mix cookies after 8 minutes and mini cookies after 6 minutes and bake until done.
Hope this helps.
- 1 package (15 to 18 ounces) spice cake mix
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry cake mix, ginger and baking soda until well blended.
- Stir in the water, molasses and vanilla and mix well.
- Cover and place the dough in the refrigerator to chill so it will be easier to roll into balls, about 1 hour.
- When you are ready to bake, position an oven rack in the center of your oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal-size portions and roll into balls.
- Place the balls of cookie dough spaced 3 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Flatten slightly with a glass coated with cooking spray.
- Bake until the surface of the cookies crack and they are firm, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute and then transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining cookie dough, being sure that cookie sheets are cool before using them again.
215 calories, 2g fat, 49 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 2 g protein and *6 PointsPlus
If you liked this recipe for giant low fat spice cake mix cookies, check out my Favorite Easy Cake Mix Cookies eCookbook at Amazon:
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.