When it comes to easy healthy weight loss — small simple changes taken step by step can add up to big results over time — just like this recent article — 16 Little Ways to Lose Big Pounds in Health Magazine - suggests.
There are lots and lots — maybe hundreds — even thousands — of little things you can do and simple changes you can make that can result in significant loss of weight over time. It's so much more realistic and effective than all those extreme fad diets too.
Here are some of my favorite easy swaps you can make for losing weight — eating great — and getting healthy (that I’m adding to all the time)…
Easy Little Food & Cooking Swaps to Eat Better and Lose Weight
- Swap caramel-, nougat- and nut filled candy for high quality dark chocolate.
- Swap fattening sauces for salsa.
- Swap mayonnaise for mustard or plain Greek yogurt.
- Swap processed food for fresh.
- Swap white bread for 100% whole grain.
- Swap white pasta for 100% whole grain.
- Swap pretzels for nuts.
- Swap potato chips for fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Swap cakes and pastries for fruit.
- Swap carb only meals for carb and protein meals (ie. eat your toast with nut butter.)
- Swap the candy dish for a fruit bowl.
- Swap sugary juice and fizzy soft drinks for water or club soda.
- Swap bottled salad dressing for homemade salad dressings made with healthy oils.
- Swap take out for cooking in.
- Swap pasta for spaghetti squash.
- Swap iceberg lettuce for spinach.
- Swap bacon for Canadian bacon.
- Swap ground beef for ground turkey.
- Swap fried chicken for broiled.
- Swap pretzels or chips for popcorn.
- Swap sour cream for plain Greek style yogurt.
- Swap rice for lentils.
- Swap chicken breast for turkey breast.
- Swap a bran or blueberry muffin for a whole grain english muffin.
- Swap rice for quinoa.
- Swap sugary cereal for low sugar high fiber cereal or whole grains.
- Swap mayonnaise for avocado.
- Swap granola for nuts.
- Swap sugar for sweet spices — cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves.
- Swap popsicles for frozen grapes.
- Swap instant oatmeal for old-fashioned or steel-cut oats.
- Swap cornflakes for bran flakes.
- Swap chocolate syrup for unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Swap milk chocolate for dark chocolate.
- Swap diet soda for fizzy water.
- Swap tonic water for club soda.
- Swap fruit juice for whole fruit.
- Swap wine for a spritzer (half wine and half seltzer).
- Swap sweet tea for unsweetened sun tea.
Easy Little Eating Swaps to Help You Lose Weight…
- Swap a dinner plate for a salad plate.
- Swap the large or medium size for small.
- Swap skipping meals for eating regular meals when you’re hungry.
- Swap eating a whole dessert for enjoying 2 or 3 bites.
- Swap cleaning your plate to stopping when you’ve had enough.
- Swap eating directly out of the package for always eating from a plate or bowl.
- Swap skipping breakfast for eating breakfast.
- Swap eating fast food once a week for once a month.
- Swap eating out for dining in.
- Swap your spoon or fork for chopsticks.
- Swap speed eating for slowing down and savoring.
- Swap a second helping for a cup of herb tea and good conversation.
- Swap two pieces of bread for one.
Easy Little Exercise and Movement Swaps for Weight Loss
- Swap exercise you hate for movement you enjoy.
- Swap a breakfast, lunch or dinner date for an active date.
- Swap taking the elevator for using the stairs.
- Swap sitting for standing.
- Swap parking close for parking further away and walking.
- Swap laying on the couch for walking on a treadmill .
Simple Little Thought and Attitude Swaps for Weight Loss…
- Swap big goals for little milestones.
- Swap ignorance for knowledge.
- Swap focusing on what you Can’t have for what you CAN have.
- Swap deprivation for moderation.
- Swap self-criticism for self-love.
- Swap focusing on limitations for focusing on potential.
- Swap thinking about what you want for thinking about what your body needs.
- Swap short-term thinking for long-term thinking.
- Swap eating for emotional comfort to finding a way to distract yourself.
- Swap excuses for intention.
- Swap food rewards for non-food rewards.
- Swap waiting till the last minute for having a plan.
- Swap perfectionism for healthy balance.
- Swap emotional eating for journaling.
Simple Little Healthy Living Swaps for Weight Loss…
- Swap an extra hour at the office or on the computer or watching TV for an extra hour of sleep.
- Swap shopping when you’re hungry for shopping when you’re full.
Do you have simple little swaps to share? I’d love to hear what they are.
Links to more easy ways to lose weight:
- 50 Easy Ways to Lose Weight - found at Reader's Digest
- 5 Unhealthy Diet foods - from Mel at Dietriffic
- 10 Painless Ways to Lose Weight - from Web Md
- 127 Weight Loss Tips for a Fit & Healthy Body - Bembu
You might also like...
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!