Our mom used to make this Fruit Cocktail Cake for us when we were growing up. It still amazes me today how tasting the simple flavors of this cake can really transport me back in time.
I asked her recently where the recipe came from and all she knows is that my grandmother copied it down from somewhere – most likely from a magazine or the back of some box.
Of course my mom would always bake this cake in the oven, but I wanted to try something different. I figured why not bake it in my casserole crock?!?!
Video: How To Make This Easy Crock Pot Fruit Cocktail Cake
If you haven’t seen it yet, early this year CrockPot came out with a 13×9-inch casserole crock which is ideal for lasagnas, casseroles and cakes like this one.
It turned out so well that I entered it in this year’s CrockStars Contest. It didn’t win, but we sure had fun creating the video 🙂
The Skinny on Crock Pot Fruit Cocktail Cake
According to my calculations, each generous piece of this very moist and tasty cake (1/12th) has about 221 calories and 6* Weight Watchers PointsPlus®.
Easy Crock Pot Fruit Cocktail Cake
- 1 yellow cake mix 16 to 18 ounces
- 1 can about 15 ounces fruit cocktail in juice, undrained
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Add the cake mix, fruit cocktail with all it's juice, eggs and oil to a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until creamy and well blended, about 2 minutes.
- Spray the casserole crock with nonstick spray.
- Pour the batter into the prepared crock and smooth it out.
- Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips evenly over the top.
- Add 3 to 4 layers of paper towels over the crock before covering with the lid. (The paper towels help absorb the moisture that builds up inside the crock pot.)
- Cook on HIGH for 2 to 2-1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs.
- Turn off the slow cooker, remove the cover and paper towels and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Remove the ceramic insert and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into 12 pieces and enjoy.
*PointsPlus® for this easy crock pot fruit cocktail cake calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you’d rather make this cake from scratch, click here for the original recipe.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!