WW Recipe of the Day: Cumin-Scented Black Beans & Quinoa
(154 calories | 4 3 0 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Looking for a tasty alternative to black beans and rice? How about Black Beans and Quinoa?
It’s an easy, healthy and delicious, protein-rich dish that works equally well as a side or main dish. Serve it plain, or to fancy it up. “Top it with fresh tomato salsa and crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese,” as suggested in the recipe’s headnotes.
This recipe for black beans and quinoa is another winner from one of my favorite cookbooks, 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness by Camilla Saulsbury, which I’ve mentioned here several times.
My sister recently picked up a copy. When I talked to her today, she mentioned that she has dozens of post-it-notes marking recipes she’s planning to try. Is there a better cookbook endorsement?
Skinny on Cumin Scented Black Beans and Quinoa
Light yet filling, this tasty cumin-scented black beans and quinoa is the kind of dish I love to eat for lunch.
Recently, I enjoyed it for lunch with half of a chopped up cooked turkey burger and some pico de gallo on top. It’s also yummy on a bed of greens with a little salsa and cheese.
According to my calculations each serving has 154 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
0 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
I think this works for WW Simply Filling too, provided you don’t exceed your daily good health guidelines for healthy oils.
Be sure to adjust your Points accordingly with any added toppings!
- Chopped avocado
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Crumbled or shredded cheese
- Corn, tomatoes, cucumber, shredded carrots, edamame, etc.
- Pineapple, mango, mandarin oranges, etc.
If you enjoyed this black beans with quinoa, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers Friendly recipes including Crock Pot Veggie Quinoa, Crock Pot Caribbean Black Beans, Southwestern Stoplight Quinoa Salad, Skinny Black Bean & Cheese Nachos and WW Chicken & Quinoa Salad
If you’ve made this Quinoa with Black Beans, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Cumin-Scented Black Beans & Quinoa Recipe
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped white onions
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) black beans, rinsed well and drained
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, divided
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the red pepper and onions and cook, stirring often, until slightly softened about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the quinoa, cumin, chile powder, salt and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer until quinoa is barely tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and half the cilantro and simmer, uncovered, until the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with the remaining cilantro
Source: 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness by Camilla Saulsbury
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this black beans and quinoa recipe you might also like:
- Camilla’s Lemony Lentil and Quinoa Salad (Simple Nourished Living)
- Chicken Quinoa Salad with Dried Fruit (Simple Nourished Living)
- Quinoa Tabbouleh (EverydayMaven)
- Quinoa and Tomato Salad (Weight Watchers)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!