Cubes of tender beef, chunks of sweet potato and finely chopped red and green bell pepper in a flavorful slightly spicy broth. This Slow Cooker Caribbean Crock Pot Pepper Soup was another big winner. Rod, Mom, my sister and I all really liked it.
I found the recipe in 300 Slow Cooker Favorites, by Donna Mari Pye, a book I borrowed from the library.
Skinny on Caribbean Crock Pot Pepper Pot Soup
This recipe for Caribbean Crock Pot Pepper Pot Soup called for either a scotch bonnet pepper or hot pepper sauce. Since we are not fans of too much spice, I opted for the hot pepper sauce.
As I was chopping the ingredients for this Crock Pot Pepper Pot Soup, I thought about my college roommate, another Donna Marie, who first introduced me to scotch bonnet peppers. Born in Jamaica and a lover of hot peppers, she regularly had her family mail them to her in Boston.
This Crock Pot Pepper Pot Soup would not have been spicy enough for her, but it was just right for us 🙂 Enjoy!
Caribbean Crock Pot Pepper Pot Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds lean stewing beef I used boneless short ribs
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef cubes and cook, until meat is browned on all sides, 5 to 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer meat to your slow cooker.
- (I used my Ninja 3-in-1 cooker so I could brown the meat and then slow cook the soup all in the same pan. A 6 to 7-Quart slow cooker should work.)
- Add the garlic, sweet potatoes, onions, stock, water, tomato paste, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours (or on HIGH for 3-1/2 to 5 hours), or until the vegetables and beef are tender.
- About 20 minutes before serving time, increase the slow cooker to HIGH. Stir in the red pepper, green pepper and hot pepper sauce. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Note: If the soup is ready before you are, reduce the slow cooker temperature to WARM. This will keep it warm without overcooking it.
Source: Slightly adapted from 300 Slow Cooker Favorites
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
I used my Ninja 3-in-1 Cooker to make this Crock Pot Pepper Pot Soup. You can check it out on Amazon:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!