WW Recipe of the Day: Spicy Chicken Avocado Soup for Two
(154 calories | *3 WW SmartPoints)
On a hot day, a bowl of spicy soup will actually often fit the bill. This quick and easy variation of the classic Mexican soup lends itself to whatever south of the border ingredients you might have in your refrigerator or pantry.
I first had it with big slices of jalapeño which were just a little too much. Since then I’ve put hot salsa in the soup and avoided chunky bites of fire. If extra-spicy is your passion, then by all means add a chopped Jalapeño pepper.
Rotisserie chicken is one of my best friends. A few days ago, I bought one and served the two of us for dinner.
The next day, most of the leftovers went in this soup. A real time saver.
I blended the beans with the salsa to add to the soup and realized I’d just seasoned those beans perfectly.
Keep this in mind when you have both on hand and need a quick salad.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Spicy Low Fat Chicken Soup with Avocado?
According to my calculations, each serving has 154 calories and *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Spicy Chicken Avocado Soup for Two Recipe Notes
The soup can be made ahead and kept in the pot. Add the avocados just before serving to keep them from becoming too soft and mushy.
Any kind of canned beans work here. I’ve made it with black, navy and small and large white beans, all of which are just fine.
Spicy Chicken Soup Serving Suggestions
A small basket of skinny corn chips can be served alongside or on top of the soup. A “salsa salad” or lettuce with additional salsa would be a great cooking addition.
Ways to Use Spicy Chicken Soup Leftovers
Leftovers freeze beautifully, though they are unlikely since this recipe only makes two servings. Add fresh avocado and limes when you thaw it.
If you’ve made this Spicy Chicken Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Spicy Chicken Avocado Soup for Two
- 2-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup cooked rotisserie chicken breast, skin removed and shredded
- 1/2 cup cooked white beans
- 2 tablespoons salsa (mild or hot, depending on your taste)
- 1/4 large avocado, cut into small cubes
- 2 lime wedges
- Cilantro sprigs (optional garnish)
- Heat the broth, green onion and cumin in a medium pot over medium-low heat.
- Let broth simmer for 5 minutes, then stir in the chicken, white beans and salsa and cook until heated through.
- Serve in bowls topped with cubed avocado, lime wedge and a sprig of cilantro (if using).
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Spicy Mexican Chicken Soup, you might also like:
- White Bean Chicken Salsa Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Black Bean Soup
- Southwestern Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
- Taco Soup for the Slow Cooker or Stovetop
- Southwest Ground Turkey Vegetable Soup
- Cooking for Two Recipes
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!