(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 56 – Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder)
This slow cooker Manhattan clam chowder is another first for me. I’m usually a New England chowder kinda girl. I’ve eaten Manhattan clam chowder a few times in restaurants, but had never attempted making it myself. ‘Til now.
Zesty and flavorful, this slow cooker Manhattan clam chowder was a pleasant surprise, especially considering how easy it was.
Rod and I both loved it and mom sent me this email…
“I had your Manhattan last night for supper and it was wonderful. Ate every drop!!”
It’s definitely a new favorite. I plan to keep a couple of cans of chopped clams and spicy V8 on hand so I’ll be ready when I want it again.
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams
- 2 cups peeled waxy potatoes (such as red or yukon gold), cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery with leaves
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 can (14-15 ounces) Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups spicy tomato or vegetable juice (I used spicy V-8)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, drained and crumbled, for serving (optional)
- Use a 3-1/2 to 4-Quart slow cooker.
- Drain the clam liquid into the crock pot. Cover the clams and refrigerate until needed.
- Add the potatoes, onion, celery, green pepper, undrained tomatoes, tomato or vegetable juice, salt, thyme and bay leaf to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chopped clams and turn the slow cooker to HIGH. Cover and cook until the clams are heated, about 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and stir in fresh parsley if using.
- Serve topped with crumbled bacon, if desired.
Source: Adapted from Crockery Cookbook (Better Homes & Gardens)
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker manhattan clam chowder calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked slow cooker Manhattan clam chowder you might also like: