Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 40)
This classic homestyle slow cooker meatloaf was my first attempt at making meatloaf in the crockpot.
I adapted the recipe from one in 300 Slow Cooker Favorites, by Donna Marie Pye, who says that there is NO better way to cook meatloaf than in a slow cooker.
Which makes sense since the moist heat of the crock pot will help to keep meatloaf moist and juicy.
Served with mashed potatoes and slow cooker brussel sprouts, this classic homestyle slow cooker meatloaf was a big hit with my meatloaf loving husband.
I made a couple changes to the original recipe, substituting 1/2 cup quick cooking oats for 1 cup dry breadcrumbs and chili sauce instead of ketchup.
You’ll definitely want to line your crock pot with foil strips to help with lifting it out when it’s done. Next time I think I’ll use wider strips of foil or I may try baking it in a loaf pan placed inside the slow cooker.
Overall, I was really pleased with the flavor and texture of this slow cooker meatloaf.
According to my calculations, each serving has 214 calories and 5 Points Plus when made with extra-lean ground beef. It works with Simply Filling too.
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup shredded carrot
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 pounds extra-lean ground beef
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- ½ cup ketchup or chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- This meatloaf cooks directly in the slow cooker, so for easy removal you want to line the slow cooker with foil strips that you can use to lift it out when it's done.
- I used my 6-Quart oval slow cooker but any size from 3-1/2 to 6-Quart should work.
- Cut a 2-foot length of foil in half lengthwise. Fold each trip in half lengthwise to form two long strips. Place the foil strips in the bottom of the slow cooker in a cross pattern. Trim them to be even with the rim, so they don't get in the way of the crock pot cover.
- Spray the crockpot and foil with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion, celery, carrot, egg, beef, oats, ketchup, garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Use your hands to to blend everything together well. Place the mixture in the foil-lined crockpot and form it into an even shaped loaf as best you can.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the meatloaf reads 170.
- Turn off the slow cooker and carefully grasp the ends of the foil strips to lift out the meatloaf. Let the meatloaf rest for about 15 to 20 minutes to let it firm up before trying to slice it.
Source: 300 Slow Cooker Favorites
If you liked this classic homestyle slow cooker meatloaf, you might also like:
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Here’s what I used to make this classic homestyle slow cooker meatloaf!