(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 30)
Slow Cooker Chicken Rice and Broccoli, is a great dish when you’re craving a comforting casserole.
It’s from Slow Cooker So Easy By Prevention, one of those little cooking magazines I picked up while checking out of the grocery store recently.
It’s a recipe you need to keep your eye on so you don’t end up with mushy overcooked rice.
I’d say cook it on a day when you can watch it. It seemed like one minute my slow cooker chicken rice and broccoli was soupy and the next thing I knew it was on the verge of being overdone.
Creamy and comforting, adding the broccoli to this slow cooker chicken rice and broccoli during the last 30 minutes prevents it from getting overcooked.
Rod and I both enjoyed it for dinner along with a big green salad. The leftovers made for a few tasty quick and easy lunches during the week too.
- 8 ounces cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 cup long-grain rice (converted rice like Uncle Ben's works best)
- 4 ounces reduced fat Cheddar cheese shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1 package (12 ounces) organic cream of mushroom condensed soup
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- Coat the slow cooker with cooking spray. (I used my 4-Quart).
- Place the chicken, rice, cheese, soup and chicken broth in the slow cooker.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and Cook on LOW 3-1/2 to 5 hours, until the rice is nearly tender and has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Stir in the broccoli and cook 30 minutes longer.
Source: Adapted from Slow Cooker So Easy magazine by Prevention
If you liked this slow cooker chicken rice and broccoli you might also like:
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
I used the 4 quart ceramic insert from my Hamilton Beach 3-in-1 Slow Cooker to make this slow cooker Slow Cooker Chicken Rice and Broccoli: