Easy Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy

Easy Slow Cooker Chicken & Gravy

Weight Watchers Friendly Easy Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy

(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking, Day #1 – Easy Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy)

I got the idea for this easy slow cooker chicken and gravy from The Magical Slow Cooker, where Sarah cooked 1 pound of chicken breasts in a simple gravy for 8 to 10 hours on low.

I loved the idea, but realized I would need to do a little tweaking to make this slow cooker chicken and gravy work for me.

And I also needed to determine the nutritional and *Points Plus realities.

Skinny on Easy Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy

As a longtime Weight Watcher, I tend to think of gravy as “fattening.” I’d never really paid attention to how low in fat gravy mixes are. According the the nutrition details on the gravy mix packages I used (McCormick), each quarter cup serving has just 20 calories, 0.5 g fat, 4 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 0 g protein and *1 PointsPlus.

I used Campbell’s Healthy Request Cream of Chicken Soup, which is lower in fat and sodium. And decided to cook 2 pounds of chicken breasts so we could have plenty of leftovers.

(For those opposed to the whole “cream of chicken soup and packaged gravy” thing, you could always cook the chicken breasts in 2 cups of chicken broth until tender, shred the meat and make your own gravy right in the slow cooker, which should take about 15 minutes on HIGH. :-) )

This recipe for easy slow cooker chicken and gravy is really tasty. Served with mashed potatoes, green beans and cranberry sauce, it was a big hit. But, there’s not much that makes my husband or me happier than mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner!

Tomorrow night I’ll use the leftovers to make open faced hot chicken and gravy sandwiches. And serve them with cranberry sauce and a mixed green salad.

(I love the whole cook once, eat twice concept. It makes life in the kitchen so much easier.)

My slow cooker must cook “hot” because my chicken breasts were done in way less than 8 to 10 hours. I cooked mine on low for about 4 hours and then flipped the switch to warm. If they had cooked 8 to 10 hours, I’m afraid they would have been really tough and stringy.

Already, I can see the need to invest in a smaller programmable slow cooker for those days I’m not here to flip the switch to warm manually :-)

This easy slow cooker chicken and gravy is a real keeper for when we are wanting a comfort food fix.

Enjoy!

4.5 from 8 reviews

Easy Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

This easy slow cooker chicken and gravy is comfort food at its most delicious.
Author:
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (5 to 6 ounces, about 2 pounds)
  • 2 packages chicken gravy mix (I used McCormick)
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) low fat low sodium cream of chicken soup (I used Campbell’s Healthy Request)
  • 2 cups water
  • Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Place chicken in the slow cooker. (I used my 4 quart crock pot)
  2. In a bowl, mix together the dry gravy mix, soup, water and pepper with a whisk until the gravy is as smooth as you can get it.
  3. Pour the gravy mixture over the chicken.
  4. Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours, until the chicken registers 165 on an instant read meat thermometer stuck into the center of the breasts.
  5. Serve over mashed potatoes, brown rice or toast, if desired.
Martha’s Notes
Nutrition Estimates Per Serving (4 ounces chicken and ¼ cup gravy): 228 calories, 5 g fat, 9 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein and *6 PointsPlus

*PointsPlus® for easy slow cooker chicken and gravy calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.

If you liked this recipe for slow cooker chicken and gravy, you might also like:

Skinny & Delicious Southwestern Slow Cooker Chicken
Lightened Up Slow Cooker Beef & Mushrooms
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Osso Buco

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Anne O'Brien says

Martha, you’re absolutely right that slow cookers cook much faster these days. Manufacturers turned up cooking temps because of concerns about whether food was being cooked to a high enough temperature. I think it really had to do more with people’s tendencies to lift the lid before a dish was done, thereby slowing the cooking process considerably. With the new slow cookers, I don’t dare leave chicken cooking all day, and even beef doesn’t take as long as it once did.

I have a recipe similar to this one that uses chicken thighs. I saute them, then put them in the cooker with chicken broth and a mixture of seasonings. I’m looking forward to trying yours because it sounds ever easier!

• says

Thanks, Anne. I appreciate your insights. Cooking with these hotter slow cookers takes a little getting used to. It’s important to check recipes much sooner to see if they are done.

2. Jen McLaughlin says

Hi Martha! Just found your site this morning. I’m preparing to start the WW simply filling technique (tracking is not working for me). Would this recipe count if I used fat free soup? Thanks!

• says

Hi Jen! Glad you found my site and hope it helps :-) I’m not sure that this recipe technically fits with simply filling. I’ve just checked the WW Power Foods List http://www.weightwatchers.com/images/1033/dynamic/GCMSImages/Food_List.pdf and I don’t think either the gravy mix or cream of mushroom soup make the cut! But of course, this is always a personal call. I take little liberties here and there and are still able to successfully maintain. I’d say if you used the fat free cream of soup and when light with the gravy when eating this chicken and gravy you’d be okay. Best of luck with Simply Filling. I’ll be curious to hear how it works for you. I’m a big fan!!

3. Joanna says

I made this last week and it is so good! Easy and tasty this will become a regular in my house! Even my picky 5 yr old loves it.

4. Joanna says

I have made this recipe twice and adore it! Easy and so delicious. No one believes me when I show them the recipe and calories. This is restaurant quality. Thank you!

5. says

I made this tonight for the first time and it was a huge hit with my hubby and 16 yr old daughter. I actually cut the recipe in half and served it over toast with a side vegetable. Will certainly be making this again…super easy and super delicious on a cold NY night.

6. JewTomMommy says

I just put this in the crockpot. I substituted boneless, skinless chicken thighs (caught them on sale!). It’s cold here (wind chill of -18), so I figured this would be a good recipe to try out to warm us up. My hubby isn’t a soup person, so comfort foods are my go-to meals on days like today. I’ll let you know how it turns out later.

7. Amanda M says

So glad I found your site. I’m an on-again member and plan to make lifetime this time around! I’m making this tomorrow night and can’t wait! It looks so good!! I assume it is freezable too, so I can double it up

• says

Hi Amanda,

Best of luck with your return to WW and journey to lifetime! The key is to just take it slow and steady and never give up!! Though I haven’t frozen it, I see no reason it wouldn’t work.

Happy CrockingPot Cooking :-)

8. Denise says

I made this tonight and it was really watery and not even close to gravy-ish….what did I do wrong?! I followed the recipe to the letter, and I’m thinking maybe only use 1 cup water next time? I used the exact same soup/gravy mixes you suggested.

• says

Sorry to hear that Denise. I can’t really figure out why that would be. Did you use frozen chicken that might have released more water into the mix? You could always thicken it by making a slurry of the flour or cornstarch and a little of the cooking liquid, whisking it till smooth and then whisking it into your too thin gravy. Cook on high, stirring, and it should thicken up. You can try using 1 cup water with the 2 packages of gravy mix, but I’m afraid it might be too salty. I would say follow your instincts because they are usually right :-)

9. Denise says

Nope, fresh chicken! When I warmed up some for my husband (he works late), I added some thickener (corn starch/water) and it was perfect! Would definitely make again!

10. Kate says

Thank you for sharing this recipe! Made it tonight for dinner, it was delicious! The chicken turned out perfect. We also added in baby carrots to the slow cooker towards the end and served it over brown rice. I will definitely be making this again.

• says

I’ve never done it, so I’m not exactly sure! I would say that it will, of course, take longer to cook and will make the gravy more watery, so you may need to thicken it at the end with a little flour or cornstarch and water. Otherwise, it should be fine.

11. Roberta Thorne says

Love this recipe, have already made it 3 times. My family who are very fussy loved it also. The second time I made it I jacked it up a bit and near the end I added diced potatoes and frozen peas and carrots……after serving this with biscuits for the guys I finally broke down and told them it was a WW recipe, they said they didn’t care and that if I could find more recipes they would all gladly eat them……YEAH!!!!!

12. Cindy says

Martha
    My crock pot just died :(
    Would I be able 2 make this in the oven & cook it on a low degree?
    How long & @ what temperature?

Thanks
    Cindy

13. Velinda Corcoran says

This is a family favorite! I use a can of low sodium chicken broth instead of the cream soup though. It’s wonderful!

14. Robert Schutz says

Just found your website. I have been thinking about utilizing my Saladmaster MP5 to make crockpot WW recipes. Really appreciate the work you are putting into this. Maybe you should sell a cookbook to WW. Plan to really utilize your recipes.

15. says

Have this in the crockpot now! Sooo excited to try it! Just started weight watchers again last week and was looking for some different recipes then I used a few years ago when I did it.

• says

Had to come back and tell you this was GREAT! A little bland for me, but my family GOBBLED it up! Including my crazy-picky-won’t-eat-anything-6-year old!!! So THANK YOU! She even asked to take it for lunch tomorrow! :)