(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking, Day #1 – Easy Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy)
I got the idea for this easy slow cooker chicken and gravy from The Magical Slow Cooker, where Sarah cooked 1 pound of chicken breasts in a simple gravy for 8 to 10 hours on low.
I loved the idea, but realized I would need to do a little tweaking to make this slow cooker chicken and gravy work for me.
And I also needed to determine the nutritional and *Points Plus realities.
Skinny on Easy Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy
As a longtime Weight Watcher, I tend to think of gravy as “fattening.” I’d never really paid attention to how low in fat gravy mixes are. According the the nutrition details on the gravy mix packages I used (McCormick), each quarter cup serving has just 20 calories, 0.5 g fat, 4 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 0 g protein and *1 PointsPlus.
I used Campbell’s Healthy Request Cream of Chicken Soup, which is lower in fat and sodium. And decided to cook 2 pounds of chicken breasts so we could have plenty of leftovers.
(For those opposed to the whole “cream of chicken soup and packaged gravy” thing, you could always cook the chicken breasts in 2 cups of chicken broth until tender, shred the meat and make your own gravy right in the slow cooker, which should take about 15 minutes on HIGH. )
This recipe for easy slow cooker chicken and gravy is really tasty. Served with mashed potatoes, green beans and cranberry sauce, it was a big hit. But, there’s not much that makes my husband or me happier than mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner!
Tomorrow night I’ll use the leftovers to make open faced hot chicken and gravy sandwiches. And serve them with cranberry sauce and a mixed green salad.
(I love the whole cook once, eat twice concept. It makes life in the kitchen so much easier.)
My slow cooker must cook “hot” because my chicken breasts were done in way less than 8 to 10 hours. I cooked mine on low for about 4 hours and then flipped the switch to warm. If they had cooked 8 to 10 hours, I’m afraid they would have been really tough and stringy.
Already, I can see the need to invest in a smaller programmable slow cooker for those days I’m not here to flip the switch to warm manually
This easy slow cooker chicken and gravy is a real keeper for when we are wanting a comfort food fix.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (5 to 6 ounces, about 2 pounds)
- 2 packages chicken gravy mix (I used McCormick)
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) low fat low sodium cream of chicken soup (I used Campbell's Healthy Request)
- 2 cups water
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Place chicken in the slow cooker. (I used my 4 quart crock pot)
- In a bowl, mix together the dry gravy mix, soup, water and pepper with a whisk until the gravy is as smooth as you can get it.
- Pour the gravy mixture over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours, until the chicken registers 165 on an instant read meat thermometer stuck into the center of the breasts.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, brown rice or toast, if desired.
*PointsPlus® for easy slow cooker chicken and gravy calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked this recipe for slow cooker chicken and gravy, you might also like: