Here’s a simple shredded cabbage soup that is perfect when you want a nourishing way to compensate after several days of overindulgence.
Which is exactly what I want to do after spending 3 fun-filled days in Portland exploring the city, visiting with friends and eating and drinking way more than I’m used to.
I enjoyed every minute of our time away.
But now I’m ready to ease off the heavy eating for a few days.
A pot of of homemade soup, such as this shredded cabbage soup, is my go-to solution.
It’s simple and satisfying.
Hearty but not heavy, with the ability to fill you for relatively few PointsPlus.
This shredded cabbage soup is a Russian soup recipe from the Betty Crocker New International Cookbook (1989).
To make it a little more Weight Watchers friendly, I used less oil and topped mine with plain nonfat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced into half moons
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth
- 2 broth cans of water
- 5 cups coarsely shredded green cabbage (1 small head)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 stalk celery (with leaves), sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sour cream or Nonfat plain Greek yogurt, if desired
- Dill weed or parsley, if desired
- Place the olive oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Add the beef broth, water, cabbage, carrots, potatoes and celery. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and then lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes.
- Top each serving with a dollop of low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, Garnish with dill weed and/or parsley, if desired.
If you liked this shredded cabbage soup you might also like:
Leftover Turkey Noodle Soup Recipes
Slimming Garden Vegetable Soup
Weight Watchers Lentil & Swiss Chard Soup
Healthy Tuscan Vegetable & White Bean Soup*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.