The title of the recipe really says it all – creamy chili-corn soup with chicken and black beans. This easy, healthy and delicious soup stirs together in minutes making it perfect for a quick lunch or supper. The recipe is from The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great, by Pam Anderson. (Of all Pam’s cookbooks, this is one, brimming with light and healthy recipes that never sacrifice flavor or taste like “diet” food, is the one I use most often.)
Most of the rest of the country is well into soup season but here in Phoenix it’s barely beginning now that temperatures finally have dipped into the 80s.
I’m a soup lover who eats soup all throughout the year regardless of the weather, but this creamy chili-corn soup with chicken and black beans is thick and hearty so I think it tastes better in cooler weather.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) creamed corn
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil and garlic over medium-high heat until the garlic begins to sizzle. Add the chili powder, cumin and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the creamed corn, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, black beans, chiles, and chicken and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, to blend the flavors, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper
More Weight Watchers Friendly Soup Recipes