I’m a huge potato salad fan. Have been for as long as I can remember and probably always will be.
When recently I looked back at some of the old potato salad recipes I’ve posted here, including this Old-Fashioned Potato Salad recipe and this Greek Potato Salad recipe, to determine the nutritional realities and Weight Watchers PointsPlus values, I was shocked and dismayed to discover that they each have 8 PointsPlus values per serving. (It’s amazing what you discover when you start paying attention to what you’re eating!)
These days I’m much happier with lighter, healthier versions of all my favorite dishes as long as they pass the taste test. This Weight Watchers Lightened-Up Red Potato Salad Recipe is a great example. It’s adapted from the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook. I don’t think anyone would ever guess that it’s a Weight Watchers recipe. Everybody ate it up when I made it for Memorial Day. It’s a great basic old-fashioned All-American Potato Salad, lightened up with light mayonnaise and Greek yogurt.
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, scrubbed
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar, divided
- ½ cup light-mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover them by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and partially cover them with a lid. Simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on their size.
- When the potatoes are done, drain them and sprinkle them with 2 tablespoons of the cider vinegar. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, cut them into bite-size pieces.
- While the potatoes are cooking, stir together the remaining 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, mayonnaise, yogurt, scallions, celery, parsley, and mustard until well blended.
- Add the cut up potatoes and stir gently to mix everything together well. Season to taste with salt and pepper and gently stir again.
- Let cool to room temperature or cover and refrigerate for up to two days.
If you liked this post and recipe for Weight Watchers Lightened Up Red Potato Salad check out these links:
German Potato Salad Recipe – a classic bursting with flavor thanks to Canadian bacon, dry mustard and vinegar (Weight Watchers)
South of France Potato Salad Recipe – with green beans, hard-boiled eggs, olives and capers (Weight Watchers)
Minted Potato Salad with Cauliflower and Peas – a tasty unexpected twist on a classic (Laaloosh)
Country Potato Salad with Ham – a lighter version of a Paula Deen Southern recipe (Laaloosh)
Southwestern Potato Salad Recipe – with jalapeno, lime tomato and cilantro (A Veggie Venture)