I’m a huge potato salad fan. Have been for as long as I can remember and probably always will be.
When recently I looked back at some of the old potato salad recipes I’ve posted here, including this Old-Fashioned Potato Salad recipe and this Greek Potato Salad recipe, to determine the nutritional realities and Weight Watchers PointsPlus values, I was shocked to discover that they each have 8 PointsPlus values per serving.
These days I’m much happier with lighter, healthier versions of all my favorite dishes as long as they pass the taste test.
The Skinny on Weight Watchers Red Potato Salad
This Weight Watchers Red Potato Salad Recipe is a great example. It’s adapted from the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook.
I don’t think anyone would ever guess that it’s a Weight Watchers recipe. Everybody ate it up when I made it for Memorial Day. It’s a great basic old-fashioned All-American Potato Salad, lightened up with light mayonnaise and Greek yogurt.
Each serving has 105 calories and *3 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, scrubbed
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar, divided
- ½ cup light-mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover them by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and partially cover them with a lid. Simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on their size.
- When the potatoes are done, drain them and sprinkle them with 2 tablespoons of the cider vinegar. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, cut them into bite-size pieces.
- While the potatoes are cooking, stir together the remaining 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, mayonnaise, yogurt, scallions, celery, parsley, and mustard until well blended.
- Add the cut up potatoes and stir gently to mix everything together well. Season to taste with salt and pepper and gently stir again.
- Let cool to room temperature or cover and refrigerate for up to two days.
This recipe is very versatile. You can customize it by adding any of the following (Just adjust your PointsPlus accordingly):
2 to 3 Chopped hard boiled eggs
1 to 2 slices crumbled cooked bacon
2 to 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
2 to 3 tablespoons chopped or sliced black olives
2 to 3 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, basil, or dill
*PointsPlus® for Weight Watchers Red Potato Salad calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked this post and recipe for Weight Watchers Red Potato Salad check out these links:
German Potato Salad Recipe (Weight Watchers)
South of France Potato Salad Recipe (Weight Watchers)
Minted Potato Salad with Cauliflower and Peas (Laaloosh)
Country Potato Salad with Ham (Laaloosh)
Southwestern Potato Salad Recipe (A Veggie Venture)
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!